SER Trial Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, May 4, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Any help or advise I can get will be appreciated. I'll post my experiences. As far as leather working, I'll leave that up to you guys.

If I need something made out of leather I have about 4-5 manufacturers that can make custom saddlery & tack for me you wouldn't believe. Now for a strop, I think could have made something like a latigo/natural 24"/2" strop with stainless hardware and a handle covered with braided flat rawhide and a horsehair knotted tassel? :D I just thought of that design. I bet they could even put tiny sterling silver or silver overlay corner plates on it.

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

That is just unbelieveably a generous offer. When it goes back up to a new sign up, I'm in.

3. xChris

xChris Member

Ooh -- that does sound nice!

RGRG

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The Kit is in!

First, I'd like to extend a HUGE "Thank You" to Chris, for allowing me to use his straight razor equipment....truly a very generous offer, from a very generous man.

I have just today received my kit,

[​IMG]

Now I have this incredible tools to use for a month, but I wasn't wasting any time so I went and took a shave, to wipe out any 5 o'clock shadow that was creeping up:

[​IMG]

Well, the end result was glorious, I had a great shave. I was anxious during the shave, and realize that I will need to take my time going forward but am very happy with the results. Although its not visible (even in person) I did manage to chew up my skin a little and it burns a bit, but that was nothing a half-bottle of velva and a slathering of Anherb conditioner couldn't clear right up.

Here's a pic after the shave, numb/high on menthol and BBS.

[​IMG]

Nobody around to take the pic, so you can't see much.....but what you won't find is so much as a trace of a whisker :happy001

5. Will

Will Nevermind

You must of had too much menthol today all you had to do was hold the camera away from your face point and click

Remind me never to take you Hunting their Dick Cheney. :rofl

Good goin bro. Now hurry up with them muthas so I can get a work out.:D

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

:rofl :rofl Nice going on the shave Joe! I'm waiting on mine to come back from honing.

7. xChris

xChris Member

Alright!!! The package got there faster than I was expecting. I hope Jim's is right behind yours.

I'm glad you went with one of the round points first. The spike point that you have is seriously sharp/pointy. My first shave with it produced nice vertical red lines on my neck after the shave. So, I'd leave that one alone for a couple of weeks while you get the mechanics down with the other two.

About the razor burn, there are two things that come to my mind:

1. Too much pressure. Use "confident" strokes, but maintain the weight similar to a DE.
    2. Too obtuse of a shaving angle. The default usually mentioned is 30 degrees, but can result in some scraping rather than cutting. Use an acuter angle, and see if that improves the shaving/cutting performance. For all of those razors, use less than two widths of the spine from your cheek.

Finally, congratulations on your first SER shave. Despite the razor burn, you apparently got a good shave for that first time. If this is any indication, your learning curve should be fairly fast. I look forward to reading about your progress.

8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nice robe, Joe!

Oh, and congrats on the shave! :cool:

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Nice going Joe!!! but for heaven's sake put some clothes on!!!!!!:rofl

Ok, for the second shave stay focused as if this was yours first. Over confidence and complacency are your enemies. Reduce the angle on the blade as Chris described and the shave should be nice and smooth, reduce the pressure a bit let the edge do the work. The stroke is confident and sure. Be mindful of the tip but don't worry if you don't, she will remind you.;) Find your own rithym, this is not fast nor slow just yours. It is similar to what athletes know as being "in the zone". It is very relaxing.

Congrats on your shave and many more!!!

oh I almost forgot. Take a picture of yourself and keep handy for the plastic surgeon:D

Raf

10. Will

Will Nevermind

Don't worry about that, I will do the work for free!

All I need is a bottle of booze and some staples.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Congratulations on your first straight-razor-shave, Joe, seems like you've enjoyed it ::

12. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thank you! Sounds like solid advice. And I will definitely be sticking to the round-tip razors for at least a week. The one with a point looks like a weapon. :eek:

13. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

I am happy to report The kit from Chris arrived today and its such a nice outfit! The razors are the sharpest thing I have ever held!

Attached Files:

14. xChris

xChris Member

WOO HOO! Shave on!

Let's see how loose that goose is when the straight's up on the throat. ;) :D

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice! Make him nervous! :D

16. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Great!

Report-

I am alive and not injured in any way!

Note that I have been shaving with a feather AC on and off for almost a year so thats my point of reference.

I lightly stropped the razor 15X prepped my beard XXXX-careful, locked the shave den door and whipped up a super lather with my big Rooneymac with Provence Sante and Penhaligons cream slick and cushion-y.
    Not good:mad: The razor was pulling and not cutting easily. I do understand that I have to push through the beard with a straight but the blade was not as sharp as a feather AC or a DE. I got through the shave OK no real damage but my face is just a little sore.

Whats your thoughts men?

17. xChris

xChris Member

Hmm... Well, I'm confident that the Filarmonica was sufficiently sharp, so I'm thinking your angle was too acute to start out with. The significant amount of pulling is an indicator of this.

Since you started with a Feather AC, you may be used to having it right next to your face/skin, and the blades are super thin comparitively. So, lean the Filarmonica out just a little at a time for the next couple of shaves to get a feel for improvement or not. The Filly also has a gentle smile to it which is good for scything motion; lead with the toe of the razor, and sweep the blade across your cheek -- ear to chin & cheek bone to jaw bone (the smile will keep the heel from digging in).

There's been some talk recently by a seasoned SER shaver about the disadvantage of no coatings on SER blades, not to mention the sheer size of the cutting surface. I tend to agree that this will lead to a significant difference in feel, especially for DE users with superior technique.

This last suggestion is for both you & TJ. While some say they get a great shave in one pass, I still do reduction passes to minimize razor burn. I don't try to take it all out at once, but use WTG/XTG/ATG for BBS.

18. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Sweet. Sounds like you had a good go of it. Congrats! (I asked how it went in the SOS thread, so ignore that question... hadn't read this thread's updates yet)

I can't wait for my turn to try these... I'll be a complete newb.... have to learn how to strop AND how to shave with a straight... all at the same time! :eek:

Any tips for stropping?

19. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I agree with Chris. Lean the blade a little more and it should cut better. Then again you may have some serious stubble and a heavier blade or a wedge might be better for you. But before we get there, lean the blade just a tad more and see what happens. I also do reduction passes much as if I was shaving with a DE. I am usually done in 2 -3 passes with a little touch up.

I would love to give that Filly a ride or two myself!!!:D

Enjoy

Raf

20. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Nice!!! Hey Joe, I think I can see some menthol vapors in that pic!!