SER Trial Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by xChris, May 4, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Well, we had to do that though with going from cartridge to DE. There was a learning curve and we probably beat our faces up in the process. I will say though that once you have achieved consistent really good results with anything it's hard to accept less. We can be pretty tough on ourselves. :D I'm certainly going to take a good shot at it but I have not invested a lot so, if I don't get into it, I won't lose much. I can always sell it close to what I paid and call it rental fees.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Thanks Chris, saved me from PMing you. ::

3. xChris

xChris Member

That comes to my mind too when thinking of this trial/pass-around.

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I could not agree with you more! I would call it a 100% success!

Hmmm, I like the sound of that :rofl Yes, I am a "master" of the DE :D

I will type more on more failures later. I cut my finger with a scissor this morning and its difficult to type. :o

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I can teach you how to do Sutures over the phone if you need it.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Must be an omen. Stay away from the razor! :D

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

This was one of the biggest things I had to overcome in converting to straights. I mean, I was used to using a Fatboy on "9" so I was underwhelmed by my straight shaves.

But sharpening my own has given me an excuse to keep going, and I have four or five in a nice rotation now that give me good shaves consistently.

8. xChris

xChris Member

So... I know TJ is getting some tutoring on using the SERs... What's the status, my man?

Also, we may have three razors MIA. :( I am going to the P.O. to see what needs to be done next.

9. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Chris,

I'm in Ft. Worth. I will ship the Filly and the Torrey back to you when I get back. I'll be sad to see the Torrey leave. Both great blades indeed. Thank you for the opportunity to use them.

Raf

10. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Well, its not a disaster by any means, thats for sure.

What I have been doing is using the straight on my cheeks and then a DE for everything else....and I think I will be getting a straight of my own eventually......but relegated to the weekends.

I have to stress/re-iterate how grateful I am for this opportunity. Chris, you are a Saint :D

Also, a huge Thanks to everybody for helping me out with advice and encouragement, I couldn't have done it without you ;)

I suppose I should start packing these goods up in the next couple days right?

11. xChris

xChris Member

You're welcome, Raf! I really like that Torrey too. I got it for a good price on the "bay." Only did some polishing & honing on it too before use.

I'm really glad to hear that the trial was a success from your perspective too, and you're most welcome. The fact that you'll get you own to continue is great news too.

Yeah, if you're satisfied with your trial -- go ahead & send them back. Will can't get his kit until yours comes back. :p :D Was one month a sufficient amount of time?

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Skip me until August. I wont be around in July.

13. xChris

xChris Member

D'Oh! Thart's what I upated the list already for.

OK, so it's Sparky that's on the bubble? Any requests for gear in your trial kit, Sparky? Reply here, or send a PM.

14. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Considering I wouldn't know really what to ask for, I think i'll give "the nod" to whatever you decide to send.

15. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Absolutely. Perfect actually.....not too short, not to long :happy088

16. xChris

xChris Member

OK -- I'll send you a mix of sizes, points, and (hopefully) grinds along with the strops. I'll PM you when the package is ready.

Good -- thanks for the feedback!

17. xChris

xChris Member

Jim dropped me a PM that the wedge straight razors made it! :happy093

So, all razors are accounted for at this time. I asked Jim to use these razors for a couple of weeks to see if the wedge profile improves his experience.

18. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

Ok
    Any suggestions where to start?

[​IMG]

19. xChris

xChris Member

Use the one in the middle of your photo first, then the bottom one, and finally the top one.

For the wedges (top & bottom razors), I find they feel similar (touching & drag) to a GEM razor with the contact of the blade next to the skin.

20. Jim

Jim The Goose Is Loose

[​IMG]

Ok this seemed a bit sharper than the first two razors, but alas I could not get through a full pass until I did a reduction pass first with a DE.
    Passes 2-3-4 with it were amazing. I am about as smooth as I have ever been.
    The razor really sings when it cuts.