Serious poll question for mature audiences

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Is unfaithfulness ever justified by self-induced intoxication?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    94.8%
  3. Maybe/Depends (explain in comments)

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dont kid yourself, there are just as many 49-59 year old drunks out there making bad choices.

brit, mrchick and Frijolero like this.
  2. PatP

PatP Member

When I was younger, I had heard that blacking out due to drunkenness was only a memory thing and actions taken in this state of inebriation were still under the control of the individual (although as we know, alcohol removes some of our natural inhibitions). This article (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2800062/) seems to agree with that theory.

Specifically: "An alcoholic blackout is amnesia for the events of any part of a drinking episode without loss of consciousness. It is characterized by memory impairment during intoxication in the relative absence of other skill deficits."

In other words, they know what they are doing at the time that they are doing it... just can't remember it afterwards.

Keithmax, brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Is unfaithfulness ever justified by self-induced intoxication?

If the intoxication wasn't self-induced, there would be no "unfaithfulness". There's a word for that.

Enrico, Paul Turner, brit and 7 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Game, set and match.

I only deal with people who can handle the choices they make.

Morally correct and honorable answer.

Thank you.

Straight dope.

Frijolero, mrchick and brit like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Survey update-we got No walkin away with THIS baby

brit likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True..
    .but the side discussion (which probably l shouldn't bring up here) is,

If someone intoxicates himself or herself to the point that, as a direct result, they are criminally victimized...does the victim bear some degree of responsibility - not for the crime - but for choosing to let himself or herself become incapacitated and defenseless?

This in no way excuses the victimizer, but that person is beside the point here. If someone chooses to become so drunk that they are raped, they weren't asking to be raped but is the rape a consequence of their choice to get drunk? I know a surprising (to me) number of people who say no.

Frijolero and Screwtape like this.
  7. DaltonGang

Complicated. I'm older than a few here, and i remember my college days. Female students would regularly get drunk, and look for a guy to have sex with. They were the aggressor, and the guys happily accommodated them. Many times, there were regrets, on one, or both parts, the next morning. Lesson learned, until they drank too much, the next time.
    Now, in todays atmosphere, the male could possibly be charged with rape, in the same situation, if the female complained, saying she was too intoxicated to give consent for sex. The ma!e would probably be expelled from college, and labeled a rapist, without any proof.

brit, Paul Turner, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

No. I should hope that one is obvious.

brit likes this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Yes. Absolutely. A person does bear some responsibility for things that would not have happened had they not chosen to get drunk.

Screwtape, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  10. Shaver X

Blame the victim? That dog don't hunt. If person A gets stupid drunk,vthat doesn't in the slightest justify person B doing something bad to him/her.

If you mean two consenting people who happen to be drunk, there's no victimhood there, just two or three folks who will need Alka Seltzer the next morning. And who hope their spouses don't find out.

Screwtape and brit like this.
  11. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Nobody said that it justifies person b. To the contrary, the post that you replied to explicitly states that it does not. You just left that part out when you quoted it.

Acknowledging person a's responsibility for their own bad decision does not need to diminish person b's responsibility. Nor does person b's responsibility diminish person a's.

brit, Screwtape and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It isn't.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Shaver X

Which explains the current state of our society.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No, that's not it.

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I went out and bought 4 razors today...

... and I was stone cold sober.

My wife was with me and she watched me do it.
    I think it was good for her too because she knew I enjoyed it. :sexe:

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

She was just an enabler or she was setting you up to go with her to the dress shop. :angelic007:

John Beeman, brit, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Even though I bought 4 razors I still wasn’t satisfied so we drove through three more small towns looking for more.
    (My appetite is insatiable)

I finally left her in an upscale consignment shop and went searching on my own. (I was like a mad man)
    By the time I returned she had spent more than three times what I had spent.

The crazy thing is we both can’t wait to do it again.

Screwtape, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

:rofl:

Frijolero likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Kinky, very kinky. Fifty Shades of Shopping.

Screwtape, brit, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

Nope. Sober, drunk or anywhere in between. Putting the shoe on the other foot, there’s nothing (as in NO. THING.) my wife would be able to tell me that would cause me to understand if she were to be unfaithful. It’s actually one of the main reasons I married her. I knew I’d never have to worry about it in the first place. She’ll never have to worry about it from me either. My father was a horndog and I saw what it did to my mom and I promised myself at a young age that I’d never be like that.

Shaver X, AGHisBBS, Screwtape and 4 others like this.