Shapton Glass Stones (Hones) any thoughts? opinions?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Padron, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Yeah, I pretty much plan on having a set of Shaptons, but just the 4k, 8k and 16k. At this point I don't plan on restorations, just honing my own personal razors.

The holder would be nice, but jeez... they want 80 duckets for it. I know I'm going to end up with it anyway, but I'm debating against it with myself. Its a losing battle but the fight must be fought. 80 bucks for that thing... 300 for the lap plate... ugh...
    Its a matter of time till I break down really, but I don't have to like spending that kind of cash.

2. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

who has the best prices for these stones including shipping. If it's the same price everywhere, who should I buy from?

3. I found them for sale on a few different sites and they were all pretty much within a few dollars of each other, but they were the cheapest at straightrazordesigns.com so thats where I ordered my 16k from.

I've tried finding a used one for sale, but no one seems to want to part with them. I haven't seen a single used Shapton for sale anywhere.

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Thanks Kool-aid.

They are offering free shipping for orders over 100 dollars till Dec 31's, I need to find some filler item that costs 3 dollars.

5. Alum block. ;)

Well, thats about 7 or 8.

6. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

7. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Alright since I'm ordering the Shapton 16000 since I already have a set of 4k/8k belgain stones on the way

Anyone have suggestions for which one to get for honing kitchen knives? I'm thinking the 1000.

8. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

You should have at least a DMT D8C Course Diamond hone for a lapping plate for your Shapton. I use mine for setting bevels on my kitchen knives. I then use a DMT Fine [600] which I think is the most useful of the DMT's. I then go to my Shapton 1K then 2K for finishing. I may sometime in the future try to go to a 4K but I really like them where they are with the 2K. I have a nice set of Henkle kitchen knives plus other cheaper ones I have collected through the years. I have been thinking of trying a couple Japanese Kitchen knives. Does anyone have any experience with them?

bj