Sharp Practise by Anders Larsen

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Mama Bear, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

The real man's guide to shaving....

So who has gotten their books and what do you think? :happy036

2. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Got It! :D Thank you Anders!

At first glance this book looks classy, easy to understand however well written and full of interesting, very interesting information.

If Anders had not sent me this book, I am sure that I would have bought it.... I plan to read it this weekend for sure! Maybe tonight as I can't seem to stop paging through it.. ;-)

Attached Files:

3. Las Medusas

Las Medusas New Member

I ordered mine from Amazon UK a few weeks ago. I enjoyed every page, and I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in wet shaving, whether you’re thinking about joining the shaving culture or are an experienced straight razor pro. Mr. Larsen’s book is full of good information, straight direction, and pleasant conversation.

BTW, my book arrived incredibly fast; faster than if I had ordered it from the U.S.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I've already read the book and it's a fantastic, enjoyable, funny and informative read. Recommended to every wetshaver out there and also fantastic as a gift to your sons when that first fluff appears on their face ::mat

5. fuerein

fuerein New Member

You know what is kinda odd?

Apparently it is not available on the US Amazon site yet, however if you limit your search to books only and search for Anders Larsen the first hit is "Sharp Practice" by John Farris (1975). Apparently the book is out of print and Amazon has no description of the title, but I just found that a bit curious that the first hit would be a book from 1975 with the exact same title, but a different author.

6. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I have to say this from the bottom of my heart, Mr. Larsen can write. He has a way with the written word that holds me enthralled. This is not a textbook and it is certainly not a shaving book written to promote someone's products... this is an really, really enjoyable read that should be saved for a night with a bourbon by a fireplace.. with the dog at your feet....and a good pipe.
    This is transfixing and riviting... and just plain really Enjoyable!

If he ever decides to write a novel, I want first dibs...... but, meanwhile, I am busy reading Sharp Practise and loving it!

It doesn't get any more human than this..... This book makes me wish I had a son to pass it on to.

7. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

OK.........:confused: He wrote The Axeman Cometh also if you are into blood and gore novels.....

8. texasPI

texasPI New Member

He said that it is currently only available from the UK Amazon site.

I received my copy about a week ago and have read it once and am re-reading it. It's a great book and easy to read. It is not dry but rather entertaining as he sprinkles bits of shaving history and personal reflections that make it an enjoyable read. Can't recommend it enough!
    :D

9. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

He has a gift tho, doesn't he....

try this on for size... Winter's morning, hoarfrost on the grass, Great-Aunt Genevieve, slippers, stained glass, sugar, Great-uncle Hector who was shot in the stomach in France fighting Franco.... and once in the arse by a jealous husband.... and his shaving room...

Oh Baby.... that is just the 1/2 a page I was reading..... ! ;) This is a must read!

10. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I got my copy, and am reading it for the second time through so that I can give it an honest review. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

He definately has a gift for writing. While reading the stories it flowed as if he was there just talking to you. So much so, that you get the feeling that the author wants to have the book be more of a friend you can come back to time and again for shaving advice, than a fact and instruction book on shaving.

The history of shaving segments are very interesting and fun to read. The author also applies personal experiences that relate very well to these history segments.

As far as giving instructions to shaving. He gives you the basics, which if you are just starting off shaving is great. For those of us who have been shaving, its too late. however this is not a distraction at all while reading the book, I feel it only enhances the hobby that is shaving. I do not use a straight razor yet however. so upon reading this book, the instructions on shaving with a straight razor were super helpful. from the grip to how to strop and hone your straight razor properly. Beware, if you have even the smallest inclination towards using a straight, reading this book will really increase the desires to go out and try one.

Overall, I feel that if you love to shave. Then this book is for you. If you have never shaved before and are about to start, Then this book definately is for you. It has made shaving a bit more meaningful to me. And I can not see anybody who reads this book not enjoying it.

This book is also very well made. Which has me wondering if they make all books this much better in England than here in America. (This book is easily 3 times heavier than a book of the same size here.)

I also think that if you have any friends who will not try wet shaving, this book could lean them in the "proper direction"

11. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I had read this book before joining this site, and was wondering if the book itself did not lend inspiration to the name of the forum. As one of the authors fondest memories is of his uncle's shave den. Which had a Deer head mounted on the wall and his uncle's razor strops hanging from the antlers. Also a window overlooking the garden, so that his uncle could admire his garden while shaving.

Really made me wish that I had my own private Shave Den to use. That would only make shaving that much better.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great review Bob! My thoughts exactly.

As for inspiring the name of the forum, the book didn't play a role in that.