"SHARP" razor blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Stubble, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fritz

fritz New Member

Sharps first report

Well, we got back from Germany late Wednesday night (which was early Thursday morning in Germany). Took a while to unpack (and sort out the 24 tubes of assorted shaving creams I lugged back). So I only this Monday morning tried one of the Sharps that John had sent while I was gone. I put it in my Futur set at 2.5, what I normally use with a new Feather. I was somewhat surprised at the quality of the overall shave. It didn't seem quite as sharp as a new Feather, so after a couple of strokes I moved the Futur up to 3. Still got 3 full passes and a 4th touch-up with no discomfort. The blade seemed a lot louder than a Feather, which I associate with chopping the whiskers more than slicing, but it cut smoothly without skipping or dragging, so perhaps that doesn't mean what I thought. It also seemed that the alum block and Pinaud Clubman had less sting than usual.

So it's a promising start, anyway. It'll take several more to get the rest of the story, of course. Thanks, John, for the opportunity to try these out. And the 7AMs too, sometime later.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have these blades.

7am Platinum Double Edged Razor Blades
    Derby Double Edged Razor Blades
    Feather High Stainless Platinum Double Edged Razor Blades
    Gillette Swedish Gillette Double Edged Razor Blades
    Merkur Double Edged Razor Blades
    Persona Super + Double Edged Razor Blades
    Sharp Stainless Double Edged Razor Blades

I only have a few of the Merkur, Gillettes and 7ams. I have found that as my technique has improved the blade of choice has changed. A Feather was scary. Now, it is a friend. It's time to go back and re-evaluate each blade. I only use a blade max 3 times. If I use the same prep, razor and brush & cream, the blade that doesn't tug and skip is the one I want to use. I don't mind shortened longevity. Blades are cheap but blood is priceless. :D

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You bring us any back? You got 24 tubes! :D

4. fritz

fritz New Member

SCAD? What SCAD? :D

Raf (Scorpio) has first dibs, since he asked for some specific ones before I left. If there's anything left over after he gets what he wants and I decide which ones I want to keep, I'll certainly put some up.

5. MaduroMan_wcp

MaduroMan_wcp New Member

sheesh, that's only a months worth...

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Welcome Back! :D

Thats one helluva haul - enjoy :happy088

7. fritz

fritz New Member

Sharp report

Well, after 5 more shaves it's time for an update. The Sharps were OK for one 3-4 pass shave, although not quite as smooth or long-lasting as a shave with a Feather. Then next day I changed the blade after only a few strokes. They are forgiving, so they might be a good blade for those awful days when you just have to get an acceptable shave in only 5 minutes.

I just tried a 7 AM yesterday, and was not too impressed. Seemed harsh, but not very sharp. I went back to my normal shaving for today (Sunday), to be sure I didn't have to go to church bleeding... Could be just a bad individual blade or an off day for my technique; I'll try some more 7 AM shaves this coming week.

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I tend to agree with you on the 7am blades.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I find the 7 AM's very effective, but the Sharps are better, at least in terms of being more forgiving, and a lot easier on my skin.

10. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Glad you received the blades, Fritz.
    I actually like the 7AM blades. Not as good as a Swede, but less expensive and much easier to come by. Everyone is different.
    Hope you had a great trip.

11. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I'll have to retry both the 7ams and the Sharps this week.

12. Stubble

Stubble Member

Well, its been a little while since my original post about these blades, and I have reconsidered my opinion on these.

The Sharps are not as sharp as the 7AM's, at least in my opinion. They are still a good everyday blade, and very inexpensive. The smoothness is still there, and they are forgiving.

The 7AM's are sharper, and a smooth blade, but not as smooth as the Sharps. Seems you also need good technique, to get the most out of these blades. Again a good blade, and inexpensive.

I think either of these blades would be good for traveling, as you really don't want to leave a blade in your razor while in transit. So, use them once, and toss.

Best, Ken

13. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Sharps revisited-
    Blade change day so just for the heck of it I threw a Sharps in my 38C. A really nice shave. We'll see how many I get!

14. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

I would advice 2 shaves then toss it away. 1 shave and toss would even be better they are not such expensive blades compared to lets say the Feathers.

you just have to find your magic nr for each blade.
    for me its 3 shaves with a Derby , 5 with a Feather.

benefit of 1 shave and toss is no rust build up always hygenic safety.

15. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Rene,
    You are right. This blade won't make a 3rd shave, the second wasn't to bad but not as good as the first. Maybe 1.5 shaves.:D

16. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Sharps, as I may have said before, are probably the best blades for a newbie to wetshaving to learn on. They're so gentle and forgiving, and perfect for sensitive skin. I've been wetshaving all my life, and Lord knows, my skin took plenty of abuse from other brands of DE blades. These Sharps are a godsend for me.

17. Medic_Coop

Medic_Coop New Member

I have some Sharp blades I think I will try after I get done with my current setup of IRP.

18. StephenDE

StephenDE New Member

I got some 7 AM blades with my shavette. They were free, so I gave them a whirl. I like them OK. With the shavette I only use a blade once so I don't have any info on longevity. I like them OK for the shavette, but probably not for my DEs.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

91VWa1-rY4L._SY450_.jpg

Resurrecting a long quiet thread I'm interest in these blades. From the sound of this thread, they sound similar to the results I get from Derby Premium blades.
    :eatdrink013:

Linuxguile likes this.
  20. Mr Two Bits

Mr Two Bits Well-Known Member

As much as I love my Feathers I may have to get a pack of these just to try out...