Shave of the Week

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by poppi, Jan 27, 2020.

1. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

RQ AC Printed Razor
    Feather Pro Blade
    MWF
    PAA Solar Flare Synthetic
    Harry's Post Shave Balm
    Canoe
    RQ AC.JPG

awk-m4, BigD and poppi like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor!

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

March 13th SOTD
    .68 GC Jaws w Russian 7’Oclock Green
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Strop Shoppe Baker Street
    Thayers
    Vintage Avon Spicy AS
    74F4315C-DA43-41B3-9A9B-587407162540.jpeg
    Have a great night all.

awk-m4, BigD, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 15 March 2021

Fine "Marvel" razor
    Gillette Wilkinson blade
    Omega 10066 boar brush
    Taconic Eucalyptus Mint SC
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe
    Taconic Eucalyptus Mint A/S

All these parts work well together and a fine shave was had and will be had for the rest of the week. I didn't show the Taconic SC container I use cuz it's ugly but gets the job done. My face is very happy. Now go enjoy your day folks.

[​IMG]

awk-m4 and BigD like this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 22 March 2021

Star 3 piece razor
    Asco blade
    FS Silver Tip brush
    More 4 U Shave Soap
    Assorted A/S

A right nice shave this morning, all the parts liked each other and my face is happy. All is well in SE Louisiana today but who knows about tomorrow. On that note, go enjoy your day folks

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  6. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Shave of the week 28 March thru 03 April 2021

I started participating in the "shave-of-the-week" about a year ago and quickly fell off the wagon! Kept acquiring new soaps, creams, AS splashes and of course could not wait to try them out. So, my plan this time around is to start off with my most basic stuff (primarily based on price) and work my way up week by week.

This morning it was a two pass, minor tough-up, BBS shave. This Gillette cream (made in India) whipped up a very slick, cushioned lather. Scent is that of a basic soap which is pleasing. A splash or two of Skin Bracer and I'm good to go.

Cream: Gillette Regular
    Brush: Omega S10019 synthetic
    Bowl: $Tree salsa
    Razor: Fatip Grande
    Blade: Personna red (1 - 7)
    Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

0329~0403.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  7. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Very nice looking set

McGrande and brit like this.
  8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 3/29/2021

Pearl razor
    Gillette 365 blade
    Stirling Synthetic brush
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill SS
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill A/S

Pic is a little blurry. That's not on purpose, just me with lousy technique. Anyway, the shave went nicely. The Pearl/365 pairing is a good one and my face is happy. And the Stirling SS and A/S are killer. Now go enjoy your day folks.

[​IMG]

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  9. McGrande

March 28th through April 3rd Shave-of-the-Week Recap.

The hardware and software used:

Cream: Gillette Regular
    Brush: Omega S10019 synthetic
    Blade: Personna red (1 - 7)
    Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

For a budget cream, the Gillette Regular is a decent performer. Very easy to work up a slick cushioned lather. I found it best when keeping it a tad on the "dry" side. Too much water thinned it out some yet it still yielded protection and glide. The scent is a mild, neutral soap type to my nose. Clean, no fuss.

I had just acquired the Omega S10019 brush so this was kind of a break-in week even though synthetics don't require much, if any break-in. Small amount of cream needed to whip up enough lather for a two pass, minor touch up BBS shave. Not in the same league as the RR Disruptor however as that beast is in a class of its own in the synthetic world IMHO.

What can I say about the Dollar Tree salsa bowl? Yeah, it's plastic - but unbreakable. You get two for a buck! It has just enough texture to aid in lather creation. It's got legs and knows how to use them. Looks swell in the den.

I only own a few razors and the Fatip Grande is my go to most weeks. I have a gun metal Grande I use for travel (haven't used it much this past year or so). The chrome finish Grande is my daily driver 7 weeks out of 8 most times. I know the open combs are labeled "aggressive" but I would call them "efficient" instead. Solid brass, affordable and work well with most blades. Hard to beat that combo. My other two razors (RR German 37 slant and an EJ DE87) see limited use although for the shaves of the week, I may give them a spin some week.

Personna red blades never disappoint. I always get 7 great shaves per blade. I lean toward the sharp yet smooth school of blades. Astra SPs, Nacets, Polsilver SIs, etc. All work equally well in my razors.

Ah yes.....Skin Bracer. A drug store classic! One of the great splashes IMO. Terrific cooling, post shave feel. Scent imitated (see Barbasol Brisk) but never duplicated. Used it exclusively for many years.

Now, to figure out next week's shave.......will post Easter morning.

poppi likes this.
  10. McGrande

Shave of the Week 04 April thru 10 April 2021

Cream: Lavanda*
    Brush: Omega S10065
    Blade: Gillette Nacet (1 - 7)
    Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Musk

*Is it pronounced Lavender with a Boston accent or more like Marlene Dietrich .....la VAHN da?

0404~0410~2021.jpg

11. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 5 April

Star SE razor
    PAL blade
    Burma Shave boar brush
    VDH Deluxe SS
    Assorted A/S

Going with a type razor that I haven't used in a lllooonnnggg time, a Star SE. Last time I used it I got very very nice shaves. We'll see how it goes, might be an update in a day or two. The little Burma Shave boar brush is nicely broken in and makes a nice lather especially with the VDH Deluxe, which I like. So It will be an adventure in shaving this week. Now go enjoy your day folks.
    [​IMG]

Tedolph, brit and Enrico like this.
  12. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 12 April 2021

An Italian Affair this week!!!

Schone razor
    Bolzano blade
    Omega 10066 boar brush
    Proraso Green SS
    Proraso Green A/S

The Schone looked so forlorn sitting on the shelf so I just had to pick it up for use this week. Since I had an Italian razor, I thought I might as well use all Italian products (except for my ever present Osage Rub/Witch Hazel) and a fine shave was had. My face is happy. Now go enjoy your day folks.

[​IMG]

Tedolph and brit like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 19 April 2021

Worlds Finest Safety Razor by Fine Accoutrements
    Treet Dura Sharp blade
    Maggard Purple Swirl Synthetic brush
    Viking "Citron" SS
    Osage Rub/Witch Hazel w/aloe/Viking Citron balm
    Assorted A/S

Previous use of the WFSR showed to me a very nice shaver but extremely mild for me. I really want to like this one but.... I think it's just to mild for me. I'll use it this week and see how it goes. At any rate the shave is ok. The Viking SS is superb, easy to lather, the lather lasts as long as you might need and the post shave feel is great. Now go enjoy your day folks.

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 26 April 2021

EJ DE87 razor
    Gillette Wilkinson blade
    WD Silver Tip brush
    Gillette Pure SC
    Assorted A/S

Another razor/blade combo that I haven't used for a long time and should have. Nice smooth comfortable close shave and my face liked it. I know many are boycotting Gillette and that's their choice. My choice is to use whatever I like and I like the Pure SC, it works well and my face likes it. So, all is well and my face is happy. Now go enjoy your day folks [​IMG]

15. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 3 May 2021

Souplex razor
    Treet 7 Days blade
    WD Synthetic brush
    Seaforth! Spiced SS
    Seaforth! Spiced A/S

The English made Souplex is a nice little razor that gives a fine shave but be careful cuz it can bite. Love the 7 Days blade too although I usually only get 5-6 shaves out of one. And as for the Seaforth! SS - superb is the best word I can think of right now. Good stuff for sure. So, my face is happy. Now go enjoy your day folks. [​IMG]

16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 10 May 2021

It's an Either or Week too!!

Star 3 piece or Weber DLC razor
    Treet 7 Days or Rainbow blade
    William SS (modern) or Williams SC
    Plisson L'Occitane or Stirling Synthetic brush
    Assorted A/S

Had a hard time deciding what to use this week and thought "Why not give yourself some latitude"? So I did. It should be fun to mix and match this week. I know all the parts so all should be well. Now go enjoy your day folks. [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  17. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Double pass Valet AutoStrop razor, second shave on Feather SS blade, Seaforth! shave soap, Semouge 1305 brush finished off with Clubman classic after shave. All in vintage Seaforth! containers:

WIN_20210429_19_27_54_Pro resized.jpg

Feelin' nice n' fresh.

brit likes this.
  18. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Nice looking setup. Never thought of repurposing those jugs. I have a similar empty set so will have to give that some thought

Tedolph likes this.
  19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 17 May 2021

Parker Variant razor
    Silver Star blade
    RazoRock Plissoft brush
    Seaforth! Heather SS
    Seaforth! Heather A/S

I know all the parts and they work well. Hope they get along this week. Now go enjoy your day folks.
    [​IMG]

20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Shave of the Week Starting 24 May 2021

Baili BR131B razor
    Gillette Silver Blue blade
    Stirling Synthetic brush
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill SS
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill A/S

[​IMG]

All sorts of trouble loading a pic this morning. Anyway, lots of good stuff for this week's shave and looking forward to wonderful face freezing shaves. Now go enjoy your day folks