Shave Stick Appreciation

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Robyflexx, Jul 22, 2016.

1. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I'm going to start using a Tabac stick and using it for the next month straight. I haven't used a stick or a soap in a while as I've been finishing off a tub of cream. I think it'll be fun to use a stick every day instead of once in a while. This Tabac stick is so thick & solid I am getting the feeling it is going to last a long time. Anyone have an estimate of how many shaves this would yield?

clint64 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I don't think I'll ever see the end of mine....that's not gonna break my heart. :)

AGHisBBS, CliffDweller and clint64 like this.
  3. CliffDweller

So I've been using my Tabac stick for the last 2 weeks. I love it but it took me a few shaves to get the lather dialed in. The first couple of shaves with it, the lather was goopy like pancake batter. I had to use a lot more water to get the lather thick & slick, and I also used a bit less product. Once I got that equilibrium correct I have gotten some amazing shaves from Tabac and really didn't need to even use any aftershave because my face felt so cushioned afterwards.

After about 1 more week I'm going to pull back out my other shaving sticks and see how I rank Tabac against Wilkinson Sword (my current #1 stick), La Toja (#2) and Speick (#3). If feel that my Arko stick exists in its own universe, and I don't try to rank any other stick against it!

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm a shave stick lover also. Here are a few of my favorites:

1) Arko
    2) Palmolive
    3) Tabac
    4) La Toja
    5) Erasmic

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I just love my Speick stick!
    Irrespective of stick or puck, Speick is in my all time top 3 shaving soaps.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. CliffDweller

As much as I love my soaps, I keep coming back to my shaving sticks. I have been on a tear for the last week of using different sticks.

Nav, I gotta agree with you.... I have used my Speick stick the last two days and I'll tell you, that lather is just about perfect and the shave I got from it was out of this world. I always put Wilkinson Sword a little ahead of Speick but I'm starting to reconsider that.

La Toja is next up for the next few days, which is yet another of my favorites. The only stick I still haven't fully hit my stride with is Tabac. I will tackle that next -- the lather in general and more specifically getting the water-content right, has been a little off.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It looks better in the red container.

PLAla likes this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Since @Robyflexx noted it in the SOTD thread, I used a little home-made Stirling shave stick this morning.

IMG_4495.JPG

9. CliffDweller

Hey, how did that work out for you? What flavor of Stirling did you use? I use a lot of sticks, have yet to make one.

Norcalnewb and Robyflexx like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    i've been using home-made arko stick all month.
    sod161223.JPG

Linuxguile, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

They are great for travel, but I prefer scuttles and soap tubs for home use.

I only currently own one shave stick that was created from LA shave soap black rose. It doesn't get much use since I don't travel much.

12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

It works pretty easily with Stirling. I have one in Bay Rum, Frozen Tundra, and Cool. Since Stirling is a bit soft, it is just scoop it out and pack into the deodorant twist up container. It rubs on your face fairly easily, and then it is an easy lather. It is perfect for travel.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I just made a few of them yesterday. I HATE loading out of the little puck sized tins, and I travel a lot for work, so it seemed like a no brainer. My only prior experience was with a hard soap, and I really didn't care much for it, so I didn't give it much of a chance. These sticks with Stirling in them work great!

[​IMG]

(One is Reef Point....)

Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  14. CliffDweller

Wow, right on. I have a bunch of Stirling soaps (about 8), but have never thought about making any of them into a stick. I do have an extra empty stick similar to what you have, maybe I'll pick one and make a stick. Maybe Executive Man. I like your style my man!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great work. Since I find it much easier to use Mystic Water soaps in shave stick form, I do the same thing most of the time. Plus if you have a ton of soap it seems to go much faster when using a stick.

PickledNorthern and Robyflexx like this.
  16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Well done my friend! Well done indeed... :happy088:

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.