Shave Sticks Adapted

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Troy M, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I haven't traveled nearly as much as I thought I would once I retired. In fact, I retired in June and just took my first overnight trip by myself last weekend. I just grabbed my Dopp kit and made sure I had a razor and a blade and a brush (along with the other stuff - toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc) and threw it in my suitcase. When I got ready to shave in the morning of the first day of the trip, I found a lint covered 2" long Derby shave stick hidden down underneath everything.

I rubbed that little sucker across my whiskers and with a nice synthetic brush and soon had a fantastic slick lather. I don't think I've used that shave stick since likely March of 2021. It just still worked.

When I got home, I pondered how I might use a shave stick more often at home. It certainly is no fuss and no muss to get a good lather with the right soap.

I recently purchased a couple of pucks of TSD soap from @Queen of Blades without containers. I mistakenly thought I had a couple of empty soap containers in my gear, but I didn't. So, I got inspired and grabbed a little piece of aluminum foil and made a little pouch and just started using the TSD Lime soap as a shave stick. I've not been disappointed at all. Just rub that puck across my wet whiskers and face lather up. I always have enough soap for my typical two pass shave and I realize that this soap likely will last nearly forever with this type of usage.

I don't know that I'll go back to soaps in a jar or creams in a tube until summer comes around again.

I know a few others here use soap pucks as shave sticks. Chime in with your tales of lather!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've tried shave sticks several times; Speik, Irish Moos. Loved the scent, loved the lather, loved the results.
    What I didn't like was rubbing the stick all over my face.

But that's me.

SterFry, PLANofMAN, brit and 4 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I love the Palmolive stick and keep one in my Dopp bag. Like the original post, I also need to bring it out at home more often.
    To answer the question...yes, I have rubbed a puck on my face. Only a few times, but it worked of course. I haven't ever tried to make my own stick or use a deodorant tube as others have. I don't think I would, either. Have a few Palmolives left and don't think I need more sticks...

4. Troy M

[​IMG]
    Nearly 3 months in. Of course I tried a winter beard and only shaved my neck for about 6 weeks, but since the white whiskers made me look like Santa Claus, I’m back to shaving most of my face daily. This puck is going to last a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. brit

brit in a box

myself also.i prefer to grate or form them into a bowl.

Troy M likes this.
  6. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've used a few pucks just like you're doing. Wrapping some foil around it works just fine. I like to use my soap as a pre-shave too and it's really easy to apply it when you use it like a stick. I rub the soap on my whiskers, then scrub with my hands, let it sit a few minutes, then apply some soap again and lather up with a brush. It makes me use a little more soap doing it that way but my whiskers need some softening.

BamaT, jtspartan, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have several pucks of soap that I just rub on my face. In fact, I used one on Menthol Monday, Fine Snakebite Shave Soap. I got a real dose of menthol with that one.

BamaT, brit, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I use shave sticks about half the time at home and nearly always for travel. I've grated soap and pressed it into a shave stick, and I've also rubbed pucks directly on my face. You can't beat it for creating a great face lather.

@Troy M +1 on the Santa Claus beard. It easily ages a guy 10 years or more, especially if they aren't well-kept. Besides, it's not fair to deprive everyone of our winsome good looks by covering our mugs with scruff. :cool:

BamaT, brit, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wouldn't be comfortable rubbing a puck on my face....I might end up like a hockey referee and DROP THE PUCK. I agree with you on the scruff persuasion.

wristwatchb and Troy M like this.
  10. Troy M

Charlie, I was trying to keep it well groomed but it was just too much maintenance. I've kept some sort of facial hair pretty much since I was 18 or 19 so that means around 40 years. Now that I'm retired, I'm spending more time outdoors and the beard helped with keeping my face warm, but I felt like I looked like an old man.

BamaT and wristwatchb like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I had the same reaction. Loved the idea of it, hated the feeling of rubbing a dry soap stick on wet skin and stubble. In my early wet shaving days it caused quite a bit of unnecessary irritation.

These days I put a little hot water in a container or glass and let the top of the stick soak in it while I shower. It improves the feel of the stick rubbing on my face and lets me get away with much less rubbing. A double win in my opinion.

BamaT, Troy M, brit and 1 other person like this.