shave with Williams Mug shave soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by wchnu, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Maybe we think alike
    [​IMG]

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice purchase! 8 pucks for $4.50. How could you go wrong? I bought 6 on Monday and might go back later today to buy what's left.

BlaydRunner and EnglishChannel like this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

The Fuzzmeister at his finest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Today's Williams shave was..................................magnificent.

BlaydRunner, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have not shaved yet . I am glad you got a great shave!!!

Hey there. How be the you?

That is just a big ole bag of AWESOMEEEEEE!! Carry on.

BlaydRunner and Primotenore like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Another wonderful Williams Wednesday. The older stuff worked well with a smaller boar brush.
    sotd 4-26-17.jpg

BlaydRunner and Paul Turner like this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Ok - we'll see. Just got home from shopping. The only place that carries Williams is a store about 25 miles from me. I was down that way to go to the Navy Base (where they keep the west coast Trident Subs) for grocery shopping. I stopped by and bought a puck. I will try it tomorrow for my Friday end of week shave.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    wchnu likes this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Waiting to hear what you think.

9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Ok - I just finished shaving with Williams for the first time. I did a bowl lather using my Captain's Choice bowl. The rest of the shave set up was some of my usuals - Merkur 34c with a new Rapira PL blade, SOC boar brush, and finished with Nivea balm and Cella after shave. I found that Williams easily produced a good lather. I loaded the brush for about 30 seconds and then went to the bowl for another 45 seconds or so. I did have to add a bit more water during the process than I do with many of my artisan soaps. But still the lather was thick and still moist. More than enough lather for three passes plus touch up. Washed a good amount of excess lather down the drain. I did not find Williams to dry out as some have said. The shave was good. I did not find Williams to be very "slick" especially compared to Stirling, Captain's Choice, and Barrister & Mann - which are my mainstay soaps. I think the lack of "slickness" causes some folks to equate that sensation to a drier soap. I don't. The scent of Williams is that of soap - not bad but nothing to get excited about. All in all, for a shave soap that cost a buck - it certainly is one that folks should try. Glad I did.
    Williams.jpg

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Glad the Colonel approved. Great to have you aboard the Williams train.

BlaydRunner and Col C like this.
  11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have noticed that Williams Mug shave lather is adversely affected by some pre-shave lotions (noxzema, etc.)
    For those who experience weak or dissipating lather, I recommend applying Williams to a clean, freshly washed, oil free face.

See if that helps.

I find the same issue with Kiss My Face shave creams. YMMV.

BlaydRunner likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

would Dial 4 Men bodywash be in that category? I've used Men Bodywashes for ages, and went through a Williams soap a couple years ago.

13. EnglishChannel

I've not used that as a pre-shave, but if it has any oils or moisturizers, it may have an adverse effect on the Williams.

14. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I've gotten good lather even with a pre-shave oil (both AOS & Razorock). Maybe it would be even better without the oil?

BlaydRunner and wchnu like this.
  15. EnglishChannel

Lancre, I say give it a shot. You may be surprised.

Williams Mug is a mystery to me. I always get a good lather, but many have trouble with it.

Mike Brown likes this.
  16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I can get Williams to lather nicely, but it dissipates and dries up once applied to my face. I don't use any type of preshave product - only cold water. Our water is fairly hard and I've heard soft water may be better for it.

17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Going with the 1924 ideal setup tonight!

[​IMG]

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I missed this before. Thank you for the information. I do not use any pre shave stuff. Might help those that do though.

Yup. I have always gotten good lather. Love it. I know kinda obvious.

Maybe use warm water. Like GAWD intended. Just saying.:cool::prrr::scared003:

It is once again that greatest of hump day rituals known as......WILLIAMS WEDNESDAY.

BlaydRunner and EnglishChannel like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some how I must have marked things read and missed this. Beautiful setup!!! I actually have a couple of the glass AV bottles that I refill from the plastic when needed. Part of my signature shave.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Let us know how it worked out if you get the chance please.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    EnglishChannel likes this.