Shavers and Sidearms

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Sontag, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Not sure about the one in the picture. The one that I tend to get issued from the weapons vault is WAY earlier in the Cold War era (think, slightly after Korea). Reliable though, I'll give it that much, I'm careful with my mags so all the young guys who whine about their pistols get shown by me that checking the lips improve the reliability 110% for these things. Too many guys among the years I think doing the hollywood reloads where they bounce across the ground instead of removing them properly.

maliboy67 likes this.
  2. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a defensive 12ga with 3in buck shot and slugs be just as handy from the house to the shop...just saying.
    Take care.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

If you bugger up your mags you have a single shot handgun at best I can't believe the military let's them get away with abusing their equipment.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Hard cast hunting slugs would be my choice if using a shotgun. I'm glad I don't have anything that large here. My biggest threat around here is a coy dog. There are some bear about 30 mins north of me.

This is as big as it gets here. I took this Friday afternoon when I got home from work. He was about 30 yards out back of my house.

IMG_0918.JPG

5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

"clipped on my belt," No the key words here count :)

Funny though I have near exactly what you posted tucked away in the house, except I use 2 3/4 " instead of the 3" the goto home weapon however is a Marlin 45/70 1895G Guide Gun that short fast rifle will put down anything that I might ever encounter and then some.. I like the 12 ga don't get me wrong, and like Panchango just wrote, I keep solids on the Buttstock but that GG is just so dang fast it is hard to beat... The hand loads are popping 405 gr Lazercast out of the barrel at 1450 FPS and they will smack into less then 2" groups all day long offhand out to 75 yds so she is a shooter. of course the Custom Ghost rings I put on really help with a fast sight picture and acquisition..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  6. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Isn't the barrel on your marlin somewhere around 20in? 45-70 is one hell of a stopper I have always wanted on in 444 marlin is another round that is a proven stopper as a brush rifle

gssixgun likes this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I wish we were still issued the .45. If they thought the Colt was getting dated, they could have come up with another solution.

Obviously, I'm just a Joe and not Special Forces, so I have to take whatever junk they issue me and make it work as best as I can.

BigT likes this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yes 18.5 and mine is one of the 1st Generation models that has the Mag-na-Porting.. really like it, went back and forth about getting it in .450 Marlin but with the ability to reload my own the power advantage diminished, and was outweighed by the availability of 45/70 brass and loads.. I also looked at the .444 But the handy size and fast handling of the GG won me over..

9. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I am actually kinda jealous sounds so sweet...you going with the 300gr or staying with the heavy 405gr

10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    The heavy 405 gr and I use the Lasercast Bullets I really like their solid lead stuff

I tried these back when they first came out and I liked them too but cost-wise and accuracy-wise the Lasercast win out

11. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That 405 is going to make one he'll of a thump when that hits penitration = easily shattered shoulder/back bone dropping moose or bear on any given shot...are you duplicating the original ballistics from the 1800's?

12. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I already posted my daily driver, here is my full race Colt 45 70 Series in nickel, 18 oz trigger pull, and my 3 gun match Remington 1100 choke tubes, also in nickel, 3lb trigger, which matches the trigger on my AR15 Sporter.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

BigT, Bobcat, Omelmad and 3 others like this.
  13. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Trapdoor safe loads will come out of the short Bbl at about 1250-1280 with the 405 gr, so I am pushing about 200 fps faster... I built the load to this rifle, I started at the original Trapdoor load then started building in velocity taking it up until the recoil started popping the lever open, which still wasn't near max pressure.. Then I started dropping the load back down 1/2 gr at a time searching for accuracy, dialed it in from there and have left it alone since then.. pretty much a standard recipe for a spread loading to find the right one for this rifle..
    I had to change out the original Buckhorn sight as I had exceeded the accuracy of the sight, the Ghost ring is infinitely more adjustable, and allowed me to match the accuracy of the load and the rifle to a dead on shooter at 75 yards offhand... Plus sight acquisition is faster now too..

Funny though I have yet to drop anything with it, just don't like the short range stuff, to me hunting gets exciting at a 1/4 mile out, I love the long range stuff :p

14. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

1270-1300 FPS is about 2/3 the way to max I realize 1/4 out is stretching the barrel on your marlin however 1/4 mile is possible with your rifle with a different load developed just for that...that actually sounds fun working that load up over the winter,and a adjustable tang peep sight.

15. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Oh heck with that,,, I use real rifles for long shots :)

16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Real rifle like 30-06 or 300 win mag.

ObiDon likes this.
  17. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Picked up one of these little guys on a huge sale this week. A better option in warmer weather for my ccw weapon (my other ccw is a S&W Shield 9mm).

Beretta-Pico-2.jpg

BigT, BamaT, Tattoobob and 2 others like this.
  18. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

19. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

That is sweet, what model?

20. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

It's the new Beretta Pico .380