Shavers and Sidearms

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Sontag, Sep 18, 2013.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I agree the .45 can be a beast to conceal especially for us full-figure guys. I picked up my first Glock (17) around 88-89. I can still remember the serial number BW034. Added the (23) when it came out and about 5 years ago a (21). I don't have any Gen4 stuff. I love the Glock. Not the best looking date at the prom, but it's so reliable - like a revolver. Point and pull. No more no less.

BigT, BamaT, Raven312 and 3 others like this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I hold GLOCK in high regard. I just can't use one. They're not natural pointers for me. Unfortunately, they're one of a few manufacturers offering a reasonably priced 10mm, which I'm considering for handgun hunting.

BigT, BamaT, clint64 and 1 other person like this.
  3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

The 30s and the 27 Gen 4 are the only 2 glocks I have owned. Strictly use them for conceal carry. I have fired several thousand rounds through each and cannot ever remember a malfunction. As you said, they are not the prettiest guns in the world but IMHO they have to be one of the most reliable. I bet my life on it.......

I have some friends that have the same problem with glocks. They just don't fit their hands well.

I love them Springfields!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    wmbjr likes this.
  4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've got a Glock 19. It is the definition of reliability; however, a block of 2x4 must have been the inspiration for the grip design. And because of the grip angle, most people will shoot low with them, and have difficulty correcting that. That's not an issue for me, but I've been shooting for many years, and shoot competively. Not lately, but through the years I have.

wmbjr and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In my limited experience with it, the XDS pistols are very nicely done.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have a Glock 17 and I agree about the grip.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

The grip on a Glock 30 (double stack mag) is wide enough that some people with smallish hands might find it difficult, but I find the sights and grip about as "point and shoot" as it gets.

In a nutshell, that's why the 30 is the model I chose. Reliable, puts 230 grains on the bull.

.44 Long barrel revolver for hunting?

One benefit of the 1911, forgive me, is that it is quite a hunk of metal if striking your opponent with it in hand-to-hand becomes necessary. Lethal.

What cartridge loads do you like?

Ryan B, BamaT and CyanideMetal like this.
  8. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

1911a1-res.jpg

I'm also a fan of Springfield, this pic is a couple of years old, I've since went to the Crimson Trace laser grip and removed the trigger guard cover.

9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

IMG_0364 (800x600).jpg

My Walther PPK/s and 1918 single ring. The .380 I picked up in W.Germany (76) while I was in the Army.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    45auto, K-zone, CyanideMetal and 5 others like this.
  10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

How do you spell TESTOSTERONE??

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Jvanis

Jvanis Active Member

IMO the XDS is a more reliable shot. I have had less issues with FTF or FTE and find the accuracy better as well, but YMMV. The single stack XDS is close enough to shield dimensions that it conceals easily (and I typically wear more form fitting clothing) Loved my 45 acp xmd sub compact as well, just a little more bulky

Ryan B and ilts like this.
  12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

That's exactly the insight I was looking for. I don't wear baggy clothing, so it is also reassuring to hear that the XDS conceals well without having to wear baggy clothes.

I use 230 grain Hydra-shock rounds, made by Federal. I also have 100 rounds of Winchester FMJ and around 30 rounds of PMC FMJ. I believe those are 230 grain as well, but don't take my word for it.

crackstar likes this.
  13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It's very hard to conceal.

14. Bama Samurai

Speer Gold Dot jacketed HP is what stays in the "go" magazine. I like the 230 Fed also.

Bobcat and Ryan B like this.
  15. Jvanis

Jvanis Active Member

Had to pull some stuff from the safe today and decided to snap a pic. My S&W 357 686 Comp and Mongoose B3. Neither will likely ever leave my collections!

[​IMG]

45auto, BamaT, Bobcat and 4 others like this.
  16. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Just bought the 9 mp shield from my brother...he hated it, and i love it. Hes a glock guy....he gave me a good deal

blanka, BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Very nice, but now you've gone and done it! Now I have to dig my Kahr out of the safe.

18. Paul6506

Paul6506 Well-Known Member

Pocket carry....

Attached Files:

BamaT and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  19. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

While we are on the subject of pocket carry....}8^))
    The Schick is a C3 Simplified Automatic and the S&W is a no-dash 640 Centennial 1st Gen. So it's a classic 'J' frame and not the Magnum J they went to later...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  20. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I have the same shield...been thinking bout getting the alien gear iwb cloak tuck 3

BamaT and Bird Lives like this.