Shavette conversations!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by pvtbanks, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Agree, ymmv! However, the Dovo shavette is very flexible with using different blades for their 3 inserts. I prefer the Personna Hairshaper blades in the green insert, but I am just as comfortable with the 1/2 DE blades or the Dovo long blades for the black insert.

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Actually, it is less scary than you think. The razor you ordered is modeled after the Feather SS, which has a feature that is designed to prevent nicks and irritation. If you look up the difference between the SS and DX (I'd post a link, but I am mobile at the moment), you will see why the SS isn't very scary.

I personally opted to avoid the SS because I had previous experience with traditonal straights and shavettes. The SS seemed like it may feel awkward to me.

My point is, don't be intimidated.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Given the amount of money men on this forum spend for vintage and new razors, soaps, brushes, etc, I am surprised the price of a genuine Feather is being balked at. It must be they are not aware of the materials, fit and finish of the razor.

Product Description
    Feather Artist Club SS Razor – The ultimate “replaceable blade” shaving razor that is made with the strictest pursuit of comfortable razor shaving. The body is made of stainless steel which enables smooth shaving and resists heat, chemicals and other impurities. The rounded shaving head and optimal blade exposure provides a soft and smooth shaving experience. Providing excellent grip and control, the handle is made from silicone resin which resists heat up to 135º. The blade head is a spring-mounted, one-touch mechanism and can easily be dismantled and reassembled for cleaning. The razor is autoclavable and disinfectant safe.

Replacing blades: Please use Feather Artist Club Blades for replacing blades. Simply pinch the razor head and the blade will drop out. Changing the blade is fast and easy. Please use caution when changing blades.

Cleaning: The razor can be disinfected by either boiling or using ethanol. The razor head can easily be dismantled and cleaned from the inside by rinsing water directly on the mechanism.

4. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

With regards to the SS, I would agree with you that it's not a big investment. You can get them for around $60. However, the SS isn't for everyone, and the DX gets you into the $200+ arena. I like to show people that there are lower cost options so they are not completely put off by the price and hesitant to try AC shavettes. I've seen many posts where people ask for shavette recommendations and voice their concern about shelling out $200 for a Feather DX.

5. Chuck Naill

You could alert them of the $60 model. The Feather is of professional quality where sanitation is essential. The fit and form being that it could be used for a life time.

6. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

As noted above, the SS isn't for everyone. And I have alerted many that the Kai Captain (which is more similar to the DX in terms of the overall shave experience) is also an option for about $60. I didn't do so in this particular thread because the subject of inexpensive clones had already come up.

Re: sanitation...... I don't know of anyone that has autoclaved their razors for personal use. Replacing blades and basic cleaning are more than enough for the home user. At most, some alcohol or disinfectant occasionally or when transferring ownership to another owner.

7. Chuck Naill

I think the ability to autoclave is stems from professional use. The SS is probably what a professional would want anyway. My barber uses a SS shavette and just puts it back into the Barbacide after use.

8. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe you'll find more professionals using the DX over the SS. Probably at a factor of about 3 to 1.

9. Chuck Naill

Not here or anything I used to watch to learn on YouTube. I could use either myself, but I like something to protect the edge.

10. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

If you're talking about instructional videos from professional barbers & stylists, you'll find that most of them use the DX. For home users, I'd call it roughly ~50/50 for DX/SS.

https://www.jatai.net/jataiacademy/post/category/terms/7;17;59;27/search_type/and/order/default
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=professional+barber+shave+instructions

11. Chuck Naill

No offense or being unfriendly, but don't know if you are correct or not. It's not really that important to me. I know what I prefer and for the reasons stated.

rs_776 likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am by no means a shavette expert. That being said, I own one: Feather ACS-RSW Artist Club SS and I find it to be an amazing tool. I was shocked how easy it was to pickup and how amazing the shave is. Honestly, if I had tried this razor before moving to the Dark Side, I can say with some certainty, that I might have stayed with this razor.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  13. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

One of these days I'll probably get me one of those.

Chuck Naill likes this.
  14. Chuck Naill

I started with the Feather SS before moving to a proper straight. I figured I wasn't interested in honing and I am not, but it's like changing the oil or adding gear oil to the Massey. That said, the Feather goes with my on my travel and camping trips and I occasionally use it when I am too lazy. It is my standard. When I say a SR is near shavette, I am judging it against the Feather. Of course I know it's wrong to judge......:char039:

15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I love my straights. Some have been honed by the best America and Europe have to offer.

In my experience, none of them cut my facial hair as effortlessly as the 1/2 DE shavettes I have with a teflon coated blade.

I'm learning how to get close in honing my top straights. Sub-micron stropping pastes are working. Still, "near shavette" is a suitable description.

Glad I came in from learning straights first, but I'm not sure I could recommend it for the budget minded.

16. Chuck Naill

I completely agree. Using a proper straight can set us back. My transformational moment is when I began to use two hands ATG on my chin and just under my lower lip. Also, the 200k edge allows for a smooth ATG cheek after an initial two WTG pass.