Shavettes: The Truth About Disposable Blade Razors Redux Part II

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Screenshot_20210824-224656.jpg
    Also added a new blade, the Vincent Sigma blade.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    lottenhem and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

Wow-that chart is super informative. One thing that strikes me is the variability in blade thickness, from 0.25mm to 0.35mm. As I remember, a standard Feather single edge blade is 0.30mm thick? Considering that none of the shavettes really clamp down hard on the blade like a DE safety razor, I wonder how blade thickness effects the feel of the shave?

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The actual blade on the guard items is 0.15mm less than the total which is the total thickness of the cladding.

In my experience, I can’t notice a difference performance only based on the caliper.

jgreenepa and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It usually only effects blade longevity, rather than shave feel (the thicker the blade, the more shaves a person can usually get out of it). Also, blade clamping is not really an issue with thicker blades, or for that matter, with quality razors, or at least with well designed razors.

Once you get past the razors with 'two chunks of steel, a clamp, and rudimentary nubs to act as guides,' otherwise known as a "shavette." If Dovo isn't the first razor you think of when you hear the word 'shavette,' then it is likely you think of one of the vast number of cheap DE shavettes under a host of brand names and rebrands. Parker and Sanguine probably have the best quality control out of the various well known brands that sell this type of razor. Of those two, Parker is the only one I would feel confident they are actually the manufacturer of their own razors.

Most razors that add anything to improve on those features are amazing successes.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Any thoughts on some of the Kamisori style Shavettes (which, as you know, I prefer)?

jgreenepa likes this.
  7. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I just keep thinking about all that real estate.........

Sara-s likes this.
  8. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I have never used one so I can't offer an opinion.

jgreenepa likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You have your choice between Japanese originals, Asian clones, and that's about it.

There's a few outliers, though I'm not sure they would be considered Kamisoris. Gayla is a Japanese made vintage one, the Italian made Razorine would be the modern version. Basically a Gillette Tech head on a sideways stick. By all reports, it's an excellent shaver.

Goodfellas makes a DE kamisori, but I don't know much more than that.

wombadom and jgreenepa like this.
  10. JPO

JPO Active Member

Here is some info about the Proline blades. They are not as sharp as the feater pro blades, but a little smoother in my experience.
    I could not find the dimensions, but i think they are close to the feather pro, maybe a little thinner.
    I bought them in bulk from Japan. Sorry for the bad translation. It is auto generated from google.

シック カミソリ 替刃 プロライン ブレード P-30 長刃 30枚 入り ◇ 業務用 髭剃り 顔そり 顔剃り 女性 シェービング ムダ毛処理 楽天 市場 通販 9/5更新♪ product details | Japanese proxy shopping service | FROM JAPAN

upload_2021-9-14_9-16-54.png
    upload_2021-9-14_9-19-39.png
    upload_2021-9-14_9-21-1.png

Attached Files:

wombadom and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. JPO

JPO Active Member

I have the Feather artist club SR, Kamisori style. I also have the regular SS. But i think the lip is a bit to big if i use a regular pro blade. I need to use a pro super to get a better angle.
    The SR falls in between the SS and the DX, and makes a good compromise.
    The grip on this is also good. I also like the angled handle.

upload_2021-9-14_9-52-25.png

12. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

RazoRock also has their own version, Ryan!

wombadom likes this.
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

That SR is a relatively new model, I understand.

wombadom likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, a replacement for the long discontinued RG/RX models, and hybrid of the DX and SS. I believe it was released in Q1 2021.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
  16. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Great article!!

Re: the Vincent Sigma blades.....

They're not just for their Weasel razor. They are also designed fit in many shavettes that use half-DE blades. Razors that use a clamping mechanism similar to the Parker SR1/SRX (or Classic Samurai, Bluebeard's Revenge, etc.) will work with the sigma blades. I find them to be more forgiving than most DE or saloon blades.
    sigma.jpg sigma1.jpg

I'll add that the same blades are also sold on Aliexpress under the "Suneko" brand. They are the exact same blade as the Vincents, just different packaging. Oddly enough, I bought two sets of them from the same seller. One came in a Suneko box, the next order came in a Vincent box.
    20200504_214132.jpg

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Added Suneko to the list of blades, think everything else was already mentioned. Thanks!

wombadom, jgreenepa and rs_776 like this.
  18. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE New Member

I like the Kai Mild DE blades over the Feather. I find the Kai are good on the first shave where the Feather needs a shave or two to take the harshness off.

wombadom, PLANofMAN and Tedolph like this.