Shavettes...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rich Daverson, Apr 12, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I forgot to post this when it came in. The lord disposible shavette style.......er thingy.
    tmp_15416-20170417_182839-2024991286.jpg tmp_15416-20170417_182859236084537.jpg

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

3. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Thats useful information...Thank you!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It just snaps in.

no two peice. When it gets dull you keep the handle and snap another blade holder in.

Here is a video of it in action. I am out of practice with a shavette so it is not very good. Decent shave and no blood though.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's beautiful, is it all one piece? ;)

No changing blades? Going to watch the video you just posted...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It comes with a handle and 12 blades. They say one shave only butthat is for barbers using on multi people I think. I got the whole thing for like $10 shipped.

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Looks fun

Pilotcld likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Almost as much fun as the little lillie...I think it could be used without the handle too.

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

Very nice video. I hope I can do half as well with my new shavette...

Pilotcld likes this.
  11. Rich Daverson

Rich Daverson Member

I got it in the mailbox. anyone that wants it can give me something to ship it......holy crap! My face feels like I shaved with a cheese grater. Sticking with my Gillette adjustable...

Let me quantify....I'm not bleeding....much. It's just too close. I think I took off a layer of skin. My face burns like it's badly sunburned...

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nicely done Fuzzy.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds like a bad angle. Takes a bit of practice. Don't give up.

Thank you. Outta practice with them. I will fix that soon.

14. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I'd say give it a couple more tries! Sometimes when I shave with my SR I feel a little raw right after, but then I put on my aftershave lotion, wait for it to dry, and then put on a second application of lotion and it feels great. As mentioned above my guess is also probably angle and maybe pressure? Having said that, I've never tried a shavette, really hoping to own one in the future.
    Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup!!

Pilotcld likes this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah give it a chance. My first time was a disaster and I cut myself pretty well.... it gets better. Don't do it when you are tired, drunk or in a hurry. I did yesterday and now I look like scar-face.... don't whatever you do rest the blade on your face - keep it moving. rest it and it cuts in...

REST = CUT. Bad angle = cut.

These bad boys take no prisoners.....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am not far in with a shavette, but my first shave with one was pretty bad. The next couple weren't much better, but they were better. My technique still has a long way to go, but it has definitely improved. Try just a north south pass on your cheeks to start and finish up with your regular razor. Once that feels better, then approach your neck the same way. This has been my progression and it has worked alright for me. Once I feel comfortable with the left hand, I will add a south to north pass in. The shave looks presentable now, but isnt super close. Right now I am just doing it on weekends or when I don't have anything important happening at work.

Good luck.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Vlasta like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I would start with a straight. But that's just me talkin....

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Yup - that's what I did. Start with a shavette and you WILL cut yourself.

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  20. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Jeffrey Smith, on YouTube, has videos which would be helpful for folks learning to use a shavette.

For a first shavette, I would recommend the Luxor Pro - the model with notches over the ends of the blades. This gives you a lot more margin for error. If you were in a higher price bracket, you could get a Focus Slim AL. It a nice razor and also has the protective notches, but it is all aluminum and I have found that mine scratches up pretty easily.

The surprise shavette for me was the Parker SRX. I think it took the longest to get familiar with; but it offers great shaves and so far it's construction quality seems like it will outlast my others.