Shaving Creams or Soaps for women?

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by jilraf, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jilraf

jilraf Member

How do shaving creams compare to solid soaps for women? The one thing I like about the solid soaps is that they seem to not produce waste (like a bottle), especially if you buy one that doesn't come in lots of packaging...

I know JoAnna likes Taylors of Old Bond Street Avocado Cream, and elsewhere I've heard good things about:
    Kiss My Face Lavender shave cream
    melted mix of vdh deluxe (shea butter) and vdh glycerin which gives slickness. Great combo with a dab of Real Shaving Co moisturizing cream gives an uberlather. Might also try some Toms of Maine shave cream. Their nos mint can still be found at Grocery Outlet $3
    trumpers rose cream

Mama Bear's Hydrogen
    TOBS Rose
    Harris Rose
    DR Harris Pink

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

There are tons that you can use. You can use all the creams someone would use on their face... I don't see any reason why you couldn't. But for the legs a soap might be easier as can probably rub on your legs like face lathering :).

That will also cut down on costs and waste.

I have heard great hings from TOBS Avocado as you have as well. But I would try anything you can come across for a decent price.

Some of the ladies might have some better ideas and insight into which creams/soaps they like. :)

3. jilraf

jilraf Member

Thanks Regan! I am actually located in the US, though.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I don't know what you are talking about... :)

I am generalizing here but... there are many companies that provide Rose, Lavender and other floral scented soaps.

I have use TOBS rose and it was a wonderful and amazing cream. Nice light floral scent and great lather. I highly recommend any of the TOBS products... when it comes to soaps or creams. As you stated you could buy a soap refill and just use it as a soap bar and then lather up :).

For the Trumpers they heavily dye their products so your brushes might go a tad pink/purple if you use them :).

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't really think there is a gender based shaving product out there. Some have scents or skin care properties that appeal to one group but not another.

Also - Tom's of Maine... I have heard good things about it, but I was under the impression it was discontinued. The cream that you find at that Grocery Outlet may be a brushless cream. If it is a lathering cream, buy them all up; there is a demand for them.

6. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I'm not picky when it comes to soap or cream. If it lathers and smells good, I will use it. If I am in a hurry to get out the door though I generally go for a cream since it whips up faster for me.

There are some soaps that are a little drying for me, I'll just use a good skin conditioner or lotion to make sure I've made up for that drying sensation.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you are a crafter, it isn't that hard to make your own shaving soap from Melt & Pour bases and a little cosmetic clay. I've been doing this for years. Using a shea butter base, I get results I like better than anything commercial.