Shaving In The Shower

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by xChris, Jan 26, 2008.

1. xChris

xChris Member

I'm starting a thread about my plight (as it were), so I stop hijacking the cartridge razor use thread...

I don't have a Tech. So, it'll the the travel DE or a Gillette SS.

I just been avoiding a DE in the shower. If I do that, I'm going to want to go all out with a brush and lather and everything. Then I have to worry about the maintenance of all of it after its use. :(

So, let's hear some pointers, recommendations, methods, etc.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

You can pick up Techs on *bay at pretty decent prices, or that Polish replica (even cheaper!). It will probably not even cost you the price of a pack of cartridges for the Mach 3.

To me it's a no-brainer!

3. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

When I am not away visiting I shave at home or at the YMCA. When I shave at home I straight shave. I'm trying that out to see how I like it..I DO!!

When I'm at the Y I DE shave in the shower.
    YEP!!!
    Simpson Chubby 1 Brush, Gilette 1952 Razor, Shave soap (Castle Forbes Lime Cream), toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, Body soap, Loofa and a magnetic back plastic mirror ~ 7x5 inch.
    I use a shower seat to hold all the stuff..It's not a lot and fits in a fairly small clear plastic cosmetic case.
    I keep a locker at the Y but it would not be a great inconvenience to cart the shave/bathing suoolies in my bag.
    When I'm ready to shower I take a stall and position the shower seat outside the stall. Still plenty of room for folk to walk around.
    I set up the mirrror on the metal panel serarating the shower stalls. They have in the stalls a metal holder beneath the shower head. I place my percelain bowl and brush in the holder and have the hot water running onto the bowl and brush.
    I open the jar of CF cream and put a wee bit of hot water into it and lay it on the seat.
    I shampoo and soap up. I leave the soap on my beard and work it in with my fingers.
    AH HA! I shut the water off and go into the SAUNA!!!!
    YEP I 'm in the sauna for five minutes
    Back into the shower, wash off the soap from my beard that I kept on in the sauna. I rubbed it in the sauna too.
    I shampoo again and put brush to the cream and I lather in the empty porcelain dish. I place the lathered bowl on the seat and lather up my face.
    I then shave, rinse and shave. Three passes.
    When done I shut off the water, dry off and dry the things I used and put em back in the case. I then go over to the sink where I dry out my bathing suit and clean my brush and bowl. Dry my hair, apply witch hazel, alum block, ASB.
    When I go to my locker I put on EDT or my scent of the day. I have Domenica Bay Rum in my locker but I often bring some from home. Today was T&H English Leather.

When I DE at home I use a tub with shower. I fill the sink with hot water and let two porcelain bowls sit in the hot water with my Shave Soap and brush sitting in the hot water. Before I step into the tub I empty the bowls of the hot water and make a lather in one bowl. I partially fill the other bowl and nest them so the hot water keeps the lather and brush warm.
    I place the bowls on the ledge of the tub till I'm done with showering. I then turn the shower to a low flow (I have the hand held adjustible shower head) and stop the tub drain up. The tub starts to fill with hot water I then take the lather bowl and place it on the floor of the tub. It sometimes starts to float around..I just watch out so it doesn't get flooded.
    I have a fogless mirror that the water flows thru it and keeps it clear. Works well.
    I use the DE and do three passes in the tub/shower at home.
    When done I take the brush, razor and bowls to the sink. I apply alum block, witch hazel, ASB and the scent of the day.

It's all much easier and less obtrusive than it looks in print.
    Works for me
    :)
    Tom

4. xChris

xChris Member

Hmm... I need to find a mirror that I can effectively use in the stalls at my gym. Thanks, Tom.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I use one like this:

[​IMG]

And then a string with hooks in both ends to hang from the divider. These are quite easy to find "fog free" too.

6. xChris

xChris Member

I've got one like that. There just isn't anything to attach that to, and the places to set it are way too low for use. I was thinking something with a suction cup; the shower walls are tiled, so a megnet wouldn't work either.

Looking back at the design of the mirror on hand, maybe I can get it to slip over the shower head to hang from the water pipe.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

you could also try to hang it around your neck and look downwards while shaving :D

8. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I can see this thread going southbound very fast ;)

9. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

HAnging a mirror is probably best cause ya know the suction cup things aren't gonna work all the time
    Tom

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Yeah, you'd have to wear protective shoes in case the mirror decides to follow the call of gravity :rofl

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Moderators...ya just can't trust 'em! :cool:

12. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Try going to a store such as bed-bath-and-beyond and picking up a small suction mirror because in theory, all shower stalls will be smooth in order to stay clean. They are very light and made completely of plastic. They stick rather well (mine hangs in my shower for moths at a time with a towel hanging from it before crashing to the floor). They are rather unbreakable. Also in terms of shaving in the shower I would suggest the Antony Logistics Shave Cream. Its the best shave cream I've found that doesn't require whipping out the brush. When I'm in a rush I'll use it with my DE razor and get a wonderful shave. Also, razor and brush has some sweet looking 2$ plastic DE razor cases to keep your blades fresh.