Shaving Mug Trivia

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Slivovitz, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

A bit of shaving mug trivia, to which I know part of the answer. How many shaving soap brands produce or produced their own shaving mugs? Mug style, Apothecary style, or one piece scuttle types, not referring to tubs or bowls.

I have Old Spice, Seaforth, Burma Shave, and Surrey mugs. Those brands of soap are now vintage only. Also a Pierre Cardin mug; at some point they had a shaving kit made for them which included a soap, mug, and brush. The mug has a discreet "pc" on it in a couple of places.

I also have mugs from Van der Hagen and Col. Conk, which are still made. I believe I know of mugs from T&H and EJ, not totally sure.

There are a couple of styles of vintage Williams mugs out there, one ceramic, the other some kind of metal. If I find either at a reasonable price, I'll get it, but what I consider reasonable is pretty low.

What other soaps had their own shaving mugs? Does anyone else around here collect them?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Surrey is one that I have (they have vintage cars on them).

3. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

Avon had a mug.I'm not positive but I think Williams also had a set of 4 mugs.Saw the set listed on the bay as williams.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have one at home that has a lid with a fish on it. It is a green mug from the 40's and was my great uncle's.

I forget the name, but they also produced soap.

I will be working until midnight today. If I remember, I will post a pic tomorrow.

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I think some soap mugs called advertising mugs by collectors were produced for barbers for shop use and featured soaps and straight razors like Kropp or after shaves like Koken Liquid Head Rest. I think you are talking about the home use soap mugs sold with the soap , I don't know how many but ebay seems the reference point, also you might contact members of the National Association of Mug Collectors, if anyone knows they do, they have a website.

The Williams mug seem to me two types, I saw a pic of an American produced Williams mug that looked very old but the Canadian produced Williams mug looked from the 60's or so, the last one I saw on ebay was bid up to $100 by those darn Williams fanatics from the forums I'd bet. Our Canadian based member Wyatt had a pic in the Hauls last year of a Canadian Williams mug his dad found in Canada.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Marvy has one. See Shawna's SOTDs and you'll see it. The green hard rubber ones.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Avon had a couple, I think, the one that came with a bottle of Wild Country inside it, and at least one other that kind of looked like a big English cop's head or something...I never really figured out what it was supposed to be.

I want to say I saw a King's Men mug once but could have imagined it; have never seen any soap by them, only talc, a/s and colognes.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also, just as a by the way: As a Fire King mug semi-collector (more of a user), I've learned that their D-ring coffee cup was widely used back in the day as a mug. Seems a bit small-mouthed to me for that, but that's what I've read from more than one source. Federal (shield on the bottom with an "F" in it) Hazel Atlas made a wider-mouthed milk glass mug that was very definitely intended for a brush. It's pretty common if you know what to look for.

9. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Too true Bob! :)

Marvy does in fact have a mug. It is rubber and the best mug, IMO, for shaving in the shower. While I have not tried Marvy soap, we do have an extra Marvy mug with a puck of vintage Williams seated in it. The design of the mug makes lathering the soap an ideal situation.

I prefer this mug to all other due to the fact that it is rubber. I have broken plastic mugs by dropping them in the shower, this one is rubber and doesn't break ... or at least, I haven't found a way to break it yet. ;)

Mechguy likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

So I take it that it is YOUR mug, right! ;)

11. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

:love055: The green Marvy mug is definitely MY mug!

scott wein likes this.
  12. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

franklin toiletry barbershop line. they also made soap. also came in brass.

Attached Files: