Shaving Myths We've All Heard

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, Oct 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy well put.

brit likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We shall never surrender..

BlueShaver, Primotenore and brit like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blah...

BlueShaver and Terry like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:D :prrr:

BlueShaver and brit like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I am a relatively new wet shaver starting around 2 and half years ago.
    I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the way to go about things in general.
    People like process and ritual. I've went through many things and slowly worked out things for myself.
    I no longer do any prewetting (blooming) of soaps.
    Recently I stopped soaking my brushes.
    I don't use preshave.
    I use sharp blades, a feather blade for one shave then bin the blade. I was using 2 feather blades per shave.
    I ride the cap.
    I am a head shaver.
    I have about 90 different SE and DE razors.
    My "get used to" or "tune time" on a razor is nearly nill.
    I load a new Feather blade in a new razor, that I've never used and can get a good shave, first time.
    If I can get the blade tilting the correct way, I get a good shave.
    If the blade is exposed well in a razor head, I get a great shave.
    I have soft tender skin.
    I'm on blood thinners.
    If I can get the water and soap correctly mixed in the right proportions, most every soap works.
    I use the same razor/blade combo on the head I use on the face.
    I apparently have tough whiskers, some blades pull and tug, right out of the paper.
    I get issue free comfortable shaves.
    I shave every day, including weekends.
    tp

b1hart, RyX, Lancre and 7 others like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!! For the most part....

BlueShaver, brit and Terry like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

So, you prove my point. It is not just technique as @wchnu suggests. One man can get multiple shaves from a blade while others don't. It would be wrong to say its a myth that one can only get one shave.

That you shave your head what you will experience will be different from a man with a full head of hair. Essentially you have learned what works for you. You don't need me commenting that you not soaking your brush means anything. It is simply what you have found that works for you.

Shaver X, RyX, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    ...nor would I expect you to, Fuzzy! I haven't surrendered, I have just become more judicious as to whom and regarding what, I opine.

Queen of Blades, Jim99, RyX and 3 others like this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I do believe that technique is the largest component in using such tools for the work being done.
    After I got my technique down pat, I started using items that seemed to work best for me. Now it took many many shave sessions before I was able to use a Feather blade, I'd say 600. After I was a competent shaver, sharper blades are the way (for me) to get a more comfortable shave. I will agree that every persons skin and whiskers are different, that can play a role in deciding what razor or blade to use.
    Head shaving is an art, for me at least. I don't see most of the areas I shave, this can be unnerving to some, it's an every day thing for me. The hair on my head seems different than the hair on my face. I can use a subsharp blade on my head that I would never consider using on my face, to dull. I also like my lather thinner up there, mostly because it can dry out quicker than on the face.
    I have experimented with using some blades on the head first, then shaving the face. Some blades seem sharper the more you use them to a point, then go down hill to dull.
    I have hundreds of blades I don't use here, I sell them for what I got in them, or give them away to new shavers.

Now, everthing I've said, I will end this rantings.
    I never knew what a good shave was until I started wet shaving with a DE razor.
    ALL razors I used (carts) pulled and tugged my face to where it was almost unbearable. Growing a beard did not work either, my beard does not soften. I had a beard for about 6 weeks. It was very full and irritating. A few months ago I tried a razor of the type I used for years and years. What a horrible time, didn't get through the first pass.
    I just thought that was what it was like to shave, I know better now.
    It took me being in my 50's to learn to....
    Shave.
    tp

10. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Agreed. It takes more skill to get BBS out of a mild razor than an aggressive one.

Edison Carter, wchnu, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Absolutely true.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  12. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Ya think?

I dunno. Relativity and context are everything and oft forgotten in these discussions.

I can get a BBS with an aggressive razor, i can get one with a moderate razor. On day 1, the aggressive razor wins the effort contest easily. 2-3 passes vs 3-4 passes and touch ups with the moderate razor.

However, day 2 and the moderate razor wins because getting a low effort BBS with the agressive razor the day before has had the consequence of lazering my face and now i can't shave for a day.

YMMV obv.

brit likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Technique Trumps Tools, period. I believe I coined that years back but it doesn't matter, truth is truth.

Someone with poor technique can use what all may agree is the best possible combination of equipment and end up bleeding or irritated, saying "That sucked." I've done it.

Conversely, someone with practiced technique can use nearly any combo of what most would avoid as junk, and come away with a wonderful shave. Done that, too.

Both are facts; both have happened too many times, to too many guys, for it to be discounted as myth.

If YMMV is an immutable law of shaving...and it is...one's mileage will largely depend upon one's technique, or lack of it.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Lancre, Edison Carter, FSword and 4 others like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Again, I a very small, but outstanding collection of vintage DE, SE, and straight razors plus a Feather SS shavette. I can get a good shave from every one of them. However, with honed edge, a dry lather and poorly prepared edge will not result in a superior result regardless of the technique. I don't think in my case it matters as much with a DE or SE.

brit likes this.
  15. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

If TTT, why are you wet shaving?

Shaver X likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't undestand the question. Why wetshave? In contrast to what, straights and electrics?

Electrics are expensive and the ones I tried, I never got as close a shave as I wanted. Always left the feeling I was reducing my beard but not actually removing it.

Straights are too much initial outlay, learning curve, and high maintenance for me at this stage of my life. I have always liked the idea but they're just not for me.

Did I leave anything out? I consider carts and disposables to be safeties right alongside DE, SE and injectors, all of which I use from time to time. They're all enjoyable and give excellent results.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup..

brit likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nothing can make a dull blade shave. If your lather is bad that is a slip in technique.
    YMMV is usually a crutch. If your not getting good results from an undamaged tool, that functions properly, you probably have a technique issue. ( not saying you have bad technique...it's a general statement)

brit likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Did you read that in a Churchill voice? I enjoy listening to his speaches from WWII.

Primotenore and brit like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm admittedly in the TTT camp. I've been wet shaving for about 7 years, and I'm still learning new things to improve my shaves. Granted, I'm a slow learner, but I hope my learning continues for as long as I'm able to shave. :) Everyone is different and has different expectations. I can only speak for myself.

After spending a few months using just Feather and Parker shavettes, I feel comfortable using most any properly functioning razor and blade. I currently use DEs, an SE, a couple of shavettes, a couple of different carts, and even an electric razor when time is short. I have used a SR, but I didn't care for the effort required to learn how and then to maintain the blade edge.

It took me awhile to figure out how to build a proper lather. I consider that part of the overall technique that contributes to consistently good shaves. Likewise, blade edge maintenance also requires skill (technique). I don't think anyone could reasonably claim to get a good shave from a razor with a dull blade as opposed to using a razor with a properly maintained blade edge or a new DE/SE blade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.