Shaving...or not...to save the planet

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by gorgo2, Feb 16, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

good point sir..

9nein9 and DaltonGang like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Windshield scrapers. Very useful in Florida

brit and 9nein9 like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I got into traditional shaving to get good shaves at a lower cost than with cartridges and canned gel, and also to have a fancy razor. It never occurred to me that it would be helping the environment. That is an added plus, as were the greatly improved shaves. When I started shaving with a safety razor in 2007, there wasn't such a big focus on plastics pollution as there is now.

Some guys get better shaves with a cartridge razor then a safety razor, but many others do not. I will stick with affordable, fancy, great shaves, and environmentally friendly.

brit and 9nein9 like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

When I was using carts I always used soap puck (Williams) and brush and no ASB. When I discovered traditional wet shaving I went hog-wild purchasing all kinds of shaving gear and software...indeed too much. I am afraid my best intentions to save money or protect the environment have been unsuccessful. I think the only way to really save money and the environment is to grow beards and give up wet shaving completely.

I did however, rescue many vintage SR and DE razors from landfill...and I had lots of fun. I am trying to curb my reckless buying of shaving software.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i will have to say,i have purchased/saved many razors,too many soaps etc, but haven't thrown anything shaving related away..the soap tubs will be reused for knick knacks or refill pucks..the glass aftershave bottles will be used for pinaud decants which i have big bottles of.the plastic cream tubes will go but i really don't intend to buy any more of them..metal proraso tubes will go with scrap metals etc..really trying to limit plastics..

Rusty blade likes this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Wow,
    Can't see why people are so concerned about saving something that they can have no impact on anyway. Sure it makes some feel better about themselves in a selfish kinda way, but I see no value in "saving the planet" mind set. Sorry I'm not very helpfull on this subject or even will be called mean and uncaring. There are many, many other things that I can spend my time, effort and money on that will make a real difference. I wet shave because it woks for me, no other reason.
    It is a real shame that all the trash is not changed into somthing other than land fill. But I know most (more than half) of the "recycled' stuff that people put in recycle bins end up in the land fill any way, this I know for a fact. So if it makes you feel good about youself, I say go for it.
    But the logical side of me says, if it isn't fixing the problem, spend your money and time on somthing that works.
    So I work on reducing land fill, not great at it, but I try. I clean up stuff when I can to make my little world nicer, neater, lesson the trash and garbage around my world.
    I don't toss stuff out the car window and I clean up after myself weather it be at a park, hotel room or camp site. I always turn in things like steel, car batteries, and things that they really make other stuff from it. I see these 'greenies" leave a place looking like a dump after they have been there and that does not impress me to follow their cause. Some are very good at striving to keep their world clean and nice, but those ones are few and far between in the places I've been. So I guess I'm in the camp that thinks "I can't save the planet, what ever that means, but I can make my little part of the world better for me and my kids, grand kids and so on".

tp

brit, stuartganis and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

http://www.aei.org/publication/for-...ng-vanity-of-man-destroyingsaving-the-planet/

I don't agree with Crichton's starting point/premise, but his general gist about vanity is dead on.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    brit and Terry like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well yea!
    See, if I had the power to destroy the planet, it would take extrodanary power to do that. That much power, imaging how many of the poeples lives I could change and make so much better. But alas, that is just a pipe dream, so I am confined to making my part of the world better. We may be able to wipe out the human species, but even that would be hard to do.
    Now here is something to chew on...
    Mother nature has wiped out lots of things, many times. Thats where the power resides, we humans are just another living thing that can be brushes aside in mere moments.

tp

gorgo2 and stuartganis like this.