Shaving stick question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by david scotland, Mar 8, 2008.

1. david scotland

david scotland New Member

I just purchased a sandalwood shaving stick by Taylor's of Old Bond Street. Never used one before. The question is do I wet the stick and rub it on my face and lather that way. Or do I apply the stick to a badger shaving brush. Genuinely curious.

2. xChris

xChris Member

Your first option is usually what people do. However the second option you mentioned is also used by some. You'll probably find that one or the other is more to your liking though.

One methd that I;ve seen mentioned by someone that lathered in a bowl: they would rub the stick in the bowl, then go at it with the brush.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I apply the brush to the shave stick to develop the lather then apply to face.

Raf

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

1: Wet FACE
    2: Rub shave stick all over wet face
    3: Take warm, DAMP brush to wet, soapy face
    4: Build lather on face

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Exactly!

Except when I go for the on-face lather I usually wind up leaving my brush a bit to wet and have shave cream flopping all over the walls and floor of my bathroom.

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Yep, that's the method I use as well. Like Jaykay, I usually have the lather flyin too :D

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

as I do it as well--I wet the tip of the stick, I rub it all over my face and neck a few times, then I wet the brush with hot water, shake off the excess, and go to work to make my lather.

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I never understood the point of lathering on the face. I tried it once, with a shave stick I was given. Wound up with a face full of PASTE, not lather. The stick went into the grab bag box. :)

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Its rare that I'm able to make a good lather in a bowl when using a soap but when I go for it on my face... I've got enough lather to paint my bathroom. Often times I do wind up getting it on just about everything in my bathroom. Beauty of being in college=never clean the bathroom.