Shaving with your non-dominant hand

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Justin Linker, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

what are your results when you shave with your non dominant hand? Especially toward straight shavers.
    I hurt my right (dominant) wrist after an accident with playing with my step children and little brother outside yesterday and now the hand is almost useless. I was thinking about showering and shaving but now I'm thinking using the other hand....may be challenging.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I end up looking like freddy kruger played with my face if I shave lefty. It really isn't pretty. When my right hand was out ofcommission a few months ago I just bearded up for a few weeks

Primotenore, Redfisher and Herm2502 like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No idea. Never done it.
    With a safety razor I might try it, if I absolutely had to.
    Wouldn't do it with a str8 - dominant hand only. If that hand was ever put out of commission, I'd only use safety razors.

alpla444 likes this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I learned to shave with a straight using both hands so there was no muscle memory to overcome. When using a safety razor I swap hands on the ATG on my non dominate side just because it feels slightly awkward otherwise.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

This sounds like a Gitmo persuasion method. I think I'll skip this exercise!

Halvor and Dubs like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yep, I tried it once, and only once. If I lost the use of my dominant hand you'd have to put me in a home.

7. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

I use my non dominate hand and i struggle with maintaining the angle

8. Mr.Diehl

Mr.Diehl Member

go very slow, and place the blade to the skin before making a stroke. very light strokes. My non-dominant had always wants to start the sroke before it touches the skin, and that rips me up.

9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

My left hand belongs to someone else I have no control of it! Why! Oh the shame.

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. cmorris357

I don't know what you guys have a problem with. I have no problem using my left hand. My right hand however.....

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I use both hands in straight shaving. It takes practice with the non-dominant hand.

InspiringK likes this.
  12. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I used my non-dominant hand during straight shaves from the start. So, I have a hard time imagining a shave without it. Though, my dominant hand probably still covers about 70% of the shave.

As far as using only one hand for an entire straight shave, I would find that difficult to do effectively and probably impossible to do with only my non-dominant hand.

I haven't needed to yet, but I imagine doing an entire DE shave with just the use of my non-dominant hand would feel odd but wouldn't end up being a problem. I suggest you stick with the DE/SE while your hand heels.

...... Or, since it's their fault anyway, just give the straight to one of the kids and have them shave your face and neck and jugular:sick013:

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I shave my left side of my face with my left hand, right side with my right hand.

Bama Samurai and Primotenore like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Show off! ;)
    I like my pretty face too much to attempt it. :lyrtuy5:

RaZorBurn123 and Justin Linker like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Mostly...but there is a straight razor pass from ear-to-chin (jaw line and throat area) that requires a dragging motion made easier by utilizing the opposite hand.
    Example: the right hand pulls the razor from ear to chin on the left cheek. If I were to use my left hand on left cheek, I'd be pushing, rather than pulling, the blade along, which isn't quite as effective or efficient with the SR—at least in my hands.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use my dominant hand when shaving with a DE and both hands when shaving with a straight.

When I started with straights I tried to shave with just my dominant hand but for some passes it was impossible to bend my wrist enough to get the correct angle. I started slowly with both hands not even completing the first pass in the beginning. It takes to learn but it is possible, if I can do it anyone can. I would not try to complete and entire shave using both hands or my non-dominant hand the first shave, it is something that takes time.

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm a lefty living in a righty world. :p

Bama Samurai and Primotenore like this.
  18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Your avatar appears to be right handed. ;)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. cmorris357

He's looking in the mirror.

RaZorBurn123, Metro and Primotenore like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Of course, how did I not notice? :shocked029:

RaZorBurn123 and cmorris357 like this.