Shooter's Travel Shave Kit

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, May 18, 2019.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I was out of projects, so I decided to work on this today. I received two empty shell cases from @Jrdelgado a little while ago, a .375 H&H Magnum and what I think might be a 20mm case, never fired. Everything in this first pic is what I used for the project, except for the epoxy and DE89 head, which I forgot to include..........
    1.jpg

This pic showing the 20mm case shortened to use for the brush. Also, a beat up Gillette Tech handle, minus the ball end. The handle was a perfect fit for the inside of the .375 H&H. I just had to grind down the bottom flare of the neck flush with the barrel of the handle. It was almost flush with the top, but a bit low. So after adding BB's, I added one more to stick out of the bottom end and just ground it down a tiny bit to make it fit flush with the top of the case. And then epoxied it to the interior of the case. Also the 20mm case was cut down to size for a travel brush. Some dense foam was epoxied to the interior of the 20mm case to make sure I had something to epoxy the boar knot to. I also sealed the primer hole with a little epoxy..........
    2.jpg

This pic with both parts finished and complete with the DE89 head and 18mm boar knot..........
    3.jpg

Of course it wouldn't be complete without a case for the razor. I used dense foam and red fabric for the interior of the Altoids tin. If it was a tad bit wider, I would have added another spot for a blade bank. But as it is, it wasn't possible. Loose wrapped blades can just be put on top of the razor..........
    4.jpg

EDIT: Thanks to @gorgo2 for this idea to hold blades. Just cut some cardboard, made a slot, covered in fabric and epoxied on............
    5.jpg

Another EDIT: As you can see, there is a small dimple on the fabric holding the blades from the center post of the cap. It caused the cover of the tin to snap on a bit snug. So I reversed the head with the cap stored on top, problem solved.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    steve207, BamaT, TestDepth and 8 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good work. Maybe the red material can make some kind of thin sleeve affixed to the inner lid to hold blades?

PatrickA51, Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

Gonna have to look into that, nice idea.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Very nice. ......great job.

PatrickA51 and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Looks great Jim!

PatrickA51, jimjo1031 and Hembree like this.
  6. jimjo1031

Just did an edit, thanks.

gorgo2, Hembree and PatrickA51 like this.
  7. Jrdelgado

That’s awesome!

Hembree, PatrickA51 and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

Thanks guys.

brit, Hembree and PatrickA51 like this.
  9. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Great job and good looking addition to your razor.

10. brit

brit in a box

very cool set up..

jimjo1031, Hembree and PatrickA51 like this.
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Nice work there. Thanks for posting it.

jimjo1031, Hembree and brit like this.
  12. jimjo1031

Thanks Preacher.

brit likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

Thank you Gary.

brit likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Thanks Patrick.

brit likes this.
  15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You've outdone yourself this time @jimjo1031 . I didn't think you could surprise me anymore, I'm glad to admit I'm wrong.

brit likes this.
  16. Jrdelgado

He’s a professional!

brit likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Made another shave kit using a Gillette Old Type head and synthetic knot..........

20200108_215612ab.jpg