Shorter Custom Dubl Duck W/Cocobolo Scales

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by str8razor, Sep 3, 2007.

1. str8razor

str8razor New Member

The blade on this razor is a Dubl Duck Special #1. The cutting edge is 2 1/2 inches which is about 1/2 inch shorter than usual. The tip of the blade was damaged so I ground it into somewhat of a French Tip. The overall length of the razor tip to tip is 5 7/8 inches which is about 1/2 inch or so less than a normal razor.

The scales are made from Cocobolo wood and finished in a blend of Bees wax, Carnauba wax and Lemon Oil to waterproof them. This finish will appeal to those that like a natural finish which shows off the natural grain of the wood. They have four custom made collars and two pins and wedge which are brass.

This razor is on eBay under item #160153803460

Attached Files:

2. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

You did good with a challenging project, Bill. You undoubtedly saved a razor from the land fill by fixing the blade, thereby making it usable again. Please tell me that you wore a dust mask while sanding on the cocobolo...

If you decide to use waxes and oils instead of varnishes, poly's, or CA as a finish, I have found that sanding to at least a 1,000 grit wet/dry paper works very good.

Nice job... [​IMG]