Should I tempt fate with a feather?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Yossarian04, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There are no such things as advanced blades. Use anything you like. At this point though, it would be beneficial to not change things in your setup. Keeping things constant while learning will allow you to spot issues more easily. Results have little to do with blade choice. Results are largely dependent upon technique.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sensei makes an excellent point :happy088:

Zykris, FaceScraper and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

The heart of a 30 Day Rule right there. Using the same hardware and software so there's no variables except your technique. After you get your basics figured out, then a 30 Day Focus means all gear the same with only one variable. That works when you know how each piece of your shave gear works, but you are seeing if one blade or another is better for you. The variable can be any item; soap, brush, water temperature, different razors. But you keep all things the same with just one change to evaluate the differences.
    A Focus doesn't mean as much when you are still figuring out basic technique. A Rule means the only variable is the Operator. So choose a set-up and join the 30 Day Crew!

4. RetLEO-07

+1 :happy088:

5. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I'm 3+ years into DE shaving and I still have not tried a Feather yet. I will in a few days though. I just acquired 4 Feathers in a Blade Trade with another TSD member and I will write about my experience with this infamous blade !!!

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

Don't get too caught up in the hype. They, along with Astra's never worked for me. I have had more luck with Russian steel.

Zykris, BigMark83 and RyX like this.
  7. Christopher Powell

I'm more curious than anything. I have enough Astra SS, Rapira Super Stainless and Rapira Swedes to last me many many years.

8. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I do well with Feathers. They just don't last long. I feel the same about Astra SP actually. I've never used the Astra SS. Gillette Nacets and Silver Blues do seem to be a step above. I also like the 7:00 Black box from India. I don't know how they get overlooked.

9. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

True. I haven't used tons of blades, but at least ten, and there is only one that I won't use again.

10. Christopher Powell

Astra SS is my favorite blade by far. They are sharp enough, smooth, consistent and align better than any blade out there !!!

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I use Feathers and love the close, smooth shave I get. But I agree with others about taking it slowly. Trying too many variables in a short space of time will just confuse you.

RyX likes this.
  12. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Except for Bic Platinum. Those blades should only be used for slicing lunch meat.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Not really true. Most veterans rate Bic near Feather. Try it again in a couple months.

jsw41 likes this.
  14. Willk

Willk Active Member

When I started with DE shaving in 2010, the popular brands didn't work well for me at all. Gillette, Derby, Astra, etc... caused me a lot of irritation. Part of the reason was myself learning proper technique, but mostly, it was the blades themselves. So, I did things to a scientific level. I bought a sample pack of all the major brands I could find. Then, on a spreadsheet, I'd try each one and document my experience. I think I tried one brand for a min for a week. In the end, I settled on feather and persona. The cost for both was very good (when purchased in bulk), and they both just simply worked great for me. I use both till this day (although I am now exploring SR shaving).

15. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I, too, started with Feathers. Feathers are not magically sharp, will not automatically remove 6 layers of skin if you blink, and do not require a master shaver to handle.

I look at shaving as a science experiment. I change only one variable at a time and then see how that change affects the shave. Then, I repeat the shave the next day in order to see if my perception of the change is truly what affected the shave, or if it was something else.

I go along with the others above who advocate investing your time in a 30 day rule.

Eeyore and wristwatchb like this.
  16. Ed Sadler

Ed Sadler New Member

I use a Dovo Shavette not a DE. I bought some feather DE which I break in half and they work good, but like the others say, it's mostly in the technique. I now use the Dovo long blades due to more of a SR type feel.

17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You gotta love these necroposts :sick002:.