Shumate Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Scorpio, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Ever since I started using straight razors to shave I have been using Shumate Razors. In fact my first straight was a Shumate 5/8 Round tip I bought from Joe C. It is still my favorite blade not because it was my first but because it is a quality razor. Very well made and durable. They are just as good in comparison to blades from Sheffield and Solingen to include Boker, Dubl Duck, Henckels and Wade & Butcher in my collection. Shumate razors can be found for very reasonable prices. Presently I have 3 including the above mentioned blade, one 4/8 spike which is a very smooth shaver and another 5/8 semi round tip. I found that they were easy to hone as I honed the 5/8 semi and it took the edge fast. If you get chance to get one in good shape for a good price I highly recommend you try one if you don't like it let me know.

Raf

2. murchmb

murchmb Member

I have three right now, but all need some restoration or a good honing at a minimum. Being from St. Louis, I have a special place in my heart for Shumates. It's nice that they have a good reputation with the honemeisters.

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

There Goes the Secret...

Don't do it! Leave the Shumate's alone...

I say that cause I am in complete agreement with Scorpio. I have many of them and try to snag them from the less knowledgeable bidders on eBay all the time. Don't know if I'd go so far as to say they are better than all the giants of Europe, but they are AS good. Kinda like those Queen razors by Sears. Nab one of those if you get a chance, as well.

4. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Bill is wise...

St. Croix

5. murchmb

murchmb Member

My bad! I meant to say that it's unfortunate that Shumates have such a POOR reputation with the honemeisters. Sometimes they just go on eBay and snipe them away from us as a public service. :D