sick from shaving?

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by kgm, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Mechanophobia.

2. Made the mistake of buying dollar store razors before... Can you say shave your face with 80 grit sandpaper covered in glue?

If your son is using an electric razor, I'd almost be inclined to think he could be allergic to 1: possibly the metal/other materials that the shaver is made of (think about women and some of their problems with certain metals in earrings and other jewelry) 2:his own skin/hair (when you shave, especially with an electric razor, you are shaking off and removing tons of little flakes of hair and skin, which could obviously be inhaled) 3:something he uses regularly on his face that absorbs into the skin normally, but could trigger a reaction when it's agitated and sent airborne into his nose. All of these are assuming that your son doesn't use anything ELSE like aftershave, a special soap or cleaner, etc beforehand.

You might want to try to get him to use a regular cartridge razor and see if the problem still persists, that would help eliminate some variables like the shaver material and skin allergies, and even the vibration which I don't understand the connection with irritation! I wish you and your son the best of luck on finding out the root of the problem, I wanna know what's going on here too!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    BamaT likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

What kind of beard does he have, is it heavy, tough? My beard is pretty tough and heavy. Years ago I tried 3 different electric razors, and every one of them really irritated my face, which would be red and sensitive for a while, and at the same time not delivering anything close to an acceptable shave.

If he has a heavy tough beard and is shaving dry, maybe he should try a preshave to lubricate his face, and maybe use witch hazel afterwards to tighten the skin.

Has he tried wet shaving?

4. kgm

kgm New Member

He seems to think he has a fungal infection, which is getting better.....and this causes the reaction when he shaves....

5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Huh. Never heard of that before. I hope it clears up quickly.

6. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have heard numerous times that witch hazel is extremely effective on fungal infections including jungle toe, crotch rot, etc.
    I have also heard that alum has the same effect.

DeathFromADesk likes this.
  7. DeathFromADesk

DeathFromADesk New Member

A U.S. Marine cure all for various fungal infections is the plain brown Listerine.

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me.

DeathFromADesk likes this.
  9. Juan-Carlo

Juan-Carlo New Member

Hi Guys

I have the same problem.Tried everything ,even dry shaving.I have had this problem for many years.If I only groom my beard it is ok but as soon as I go clean shaven it is a week of misery being realy sick and miserable.I firmly believe it is a spiritual cause .Test it for yourself .This is my experience.

RyX likes this.
  10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Explain, please?

RyX likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

sorry , i have heard sick of shaving ,not from..

Primotenore and RyX like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've heard of this, it's called "Sampson and Delilah Syndrom" . Usually caused by letting a pretty girl give you a haircut, and resulting in your loss of strength.
    :scared003:

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

While there are Spiritual reasons for not shaving, I've been both bearded and clean shaved and didn't feel any particular positive or negative sanctification effects either way.
    Mostly I felt itchy when growing a beard. At least until it grew out to 1/4 inch or more. Since discovering Wet Shaving with good soap and a stiff brush, a well made double edge or single edge razor, and proper post shave products I've felt no call to be bearded. The voices in my head say "Look Sharp, Feel Clean".

Primotenore, Frijolero and brit like this.