Sick YouTube videos.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Spirit_of_76, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Although I've never made a big thing of it, anyone who knows me well from the various online shaving forums will know that I have done a lot of conservation work. My main field of interest is reptiles and I've spent a lot of time in the field and in captivity working with rare and endangered animals as well as taking an active role in public education when it comes to the plight of these animals in the wild.
    Now why should any of you be interested in this (given that you're probably not even remotley bothered:rolleyes: )?
    I just wanted to explain my reason for being appaled by certain videos that have been posted recently on you tube by some brainless little ****. Here is an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2GuFPtBs4.
    I realise that this really isn't the place to post such things, and I would like to apologise for that, but this kind of thing really gets to me and I think it is important that it is stopped.
    If you are as angered and upset by this as I am then please flag this moron's videos as inappropriate and contact YouTube to ask that they be removed. Trust me on this, I value freedom of expression as much as the next person, but the videos themselves clearly violate the terms of usage. I know that there have been a number of complaints but YouTube seem very slow to act.
    These animals are being made to suffer needlessly, and by giving this ass a public forum like YouTube he is only going to carry on doing it.
    Thankyou in advance to anyone who is prepared to help.
    Regards,
    Alex

2. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Perhaps a brief description of the video's contents?

From your post, it seems like some sort of animal torture/cruelty?

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, I'm gonna need a brief description of the video before I click on that link. :scared003 So far you make it sound like something I don't want to see.

4. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

A guy puts two reptiles in a glass cage until one of them eats the tail of the other. Of course, it’s trapped so it has nowhere to hide or flee.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the description Yukio.

Still wish I hadn't watched that, but atleast it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was gonna be. The guy videotaping that sounds like a real class act, too.

6. Spirit_of_76

I suppose I should have described the video, sorry about that. The gecko in this video survived being trapped in the cage with the monitor lizard but it was later fed to a Snapping Turtle.
    This asshat has a whole host of videos containing this kind of crap, at first I thought it was some psychotic little kid but if you look at his profile he's 37 years old.:confused: :( :mad:
    Like I said in my original post this probably wasn't the best place to post about this, I realise not many people are as comfortable around or as interested in reptiles as I am, but I really think that YouTube needs to be pressured into pulling this degenerate rubbish.
    Regards,
    Alex

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Apology Accepted. :D

I haven't looked at the video yet but I get the picture from the description. It's OK to post your concerns here since this is the chatterbox. I would suggest that you describe the video for people to let them know what they are getting into so they can opt not to watch it in the future. That needs to be for all video and picture link postings. Kind of like a the standard FCC warnings you see.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

Reported buy me.

Just sick.

9. navy_shave

navy_shave New Member

Didn't watch it, but I reported it.

10. Spirit_of_76

Thankyou to eveyone who took the time to report this. I really do appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Alex

11. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Is this guy in the US? If so, he should be reported to the police, shouldn't he?

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

First, I don't condone this video or the person who did this in any way.

Now, as much as I hate saying this, I don't think there is a thing that can be done about it. It's like feeding live fish to tropical fish and other similar feeding situations like live mice to snakes. A small lizard is natural food to a monitor lizard and the tail on a lizard is made to break away when a predator bites so that the lizard can get away. I think, but don't quote me, that at least for some, the tail grows back. I just don't condone this as entertainment. Reminds me of the Roman Colosseum.

13. Spirit_of_76

His profile just says United States, unfortunately it doesn't give a precise location (otherwise I'd arrange to have a rabid bear put through his letterbox, let's see how he likes being trapped with a dangerous animal.)
    If YouTube doesn't take it down I was thinking of contacting the ASPCA or PETA but I'm unsure as to how they'd take a complaint from someone who wasn't even in the US.
    Regards,
    Alex

14. Spirit_of_76

You're right about the tail. It's a defence mechanism called caudal autonomy and the tail would grow back (if the gecko hadn't been tossed in with a Snapping Turtle.)
    Also, smaller lizards do make up the bulk of the diet of many species of monitor lizard. However, if ones wants to get technical (and I'm certainly not getting at you here, I just want to see this stuff taken down) the monitor in question (Varanus acanthurus) is native to Australia whereas the Leopard Gecko (Eublepharis macularis) is native to Afghanistan and Pakistan so one feeding on the other isn't natural at all. I know that reasoning is pretty spurious but it's the best I can do.
    Also, I belive in some states it is illegal to offer live food to any animal, much like it is here in the UK.
    Regards,
    Alex

15. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know you're not getting after me. Don't worry. I don't like this no matter what geographic region the animals hail from. I'm sorry, I can't say what the laws are in CA. I have not run into this personally.