Silver smithing

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by mastermute, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Has anyone else tried silversmithing? I have just made my first pair of sterling silver rings..

[​IMG]

2. akady

akady New Member

I have. I am actually looking at graduate school for silversmithing. Here are a few of my piece. A good resource is Ganoksin it a email based forum, just google it.

Attached Files:

3. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Wow! My simple rings are just nothing compared to that (but I'm learning!)! Great work!

4. akady

akady New Member

ARe you going to do them as hollow rings or just the bands?

I didnt fabricate a ring till about my 4th month of working with silver. I did all lost wax cast rings before that.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Never done a wax cast, but I would love to have a casting eqiupment! These rings are soldered, dont know what "hollow rings" means (a language thing probably). I cut a strip, anneal it, cut it and make it into a ring...

My first few rings were scrap, but i think I've got the hang of it now! My first proper ring is going to be my wifes xmas prezzie :p Now, hush you all!

6. akady

akady New Member

If it wasnt for the school I wouldnt have most any of the tools I use, I have no idea what I will do after graduation.

A hollow ring is when you make a ring of the inside diameter and then a ring of the outside diameter. So you have a smaller ring (inside sized for finger) and a larger ring(how big you want the outside to look). Then you drill a tiny hole on the inside ring to prevent exploding when soldering.

You then solder both rings to a piece of silver (basically a square), cut out the inside , leaving a lip so if the solder melts it wont fall off. Then flip it over and do the same thing again. Cut out both insides and trim the outsides and then you have your ring.

7. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Wow, I'll have a go at that!

8. akady

akady New Member

If you need better directions I can scan some info on it, just pm me.