Silvertip Badger Vs. High Mountain Badger.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by DaltonGang, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This will be a comparison between:
    Whipped Dog Silvertip, set in a @Jayaruh Birdseye Maple and Ebony handle.
    Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger, set in a RazoRock 400 handle.

I have used each over the past many months, and like them both, very much. Both knots are inexpensive and perform very well. But since this is a comparison, I will be "Picky".

WD Silvertip- It is a bit smaller in size(fluffiness). It has a tad less backbone. But, it is much softer.
    WD High Mountain- The individual hairs appear thicker, more wiry, and stiffer. This knot has more backbone. The only drawback, for me, is that it has a little scritch to it. Some prefer this, I prefer softness.

Both brushes are excellent, the only differences are The Silvertip has less backbone, and is softer. Both have good backbone, and both are soft. In soaking the two, the Silvertip seems to be the more absorbent of the two. But, like I said, I am being "Picky". Either knot would be an excellent choice.

P9030478.JPG

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Enrico, AGHisBBS, BigMark83 and 9 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I found just opposite
    My silvertip was fuller, more dense, and firmer.
    The high mountain was less so but softer. The high also shed. More so than silvertip.

DaltonGang, Screwtape and Vlasta like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The fun part of this test was the lathering. I used both brushes, at the same time. One in each hand, then switching hands every now and again. I over lathered, because i was having so much fun. If you have never tried face lathering with two soft brushes, you dont know what you are missing.

4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I buy both types for my brush endeavors - I find it hard to tell the difference when un-bloomed. I am so glad my knot guy labels them!!

5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review, interesting to read the comparisons. I have the WD high mountain and really enjoy it!

DaltonGang likes this.