Simpson knot replacement equivalent

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Aug 8, 2020.

1. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Tgn finest or elite razors knots

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well as usual life gets busy, but I finally ordered a knot for my Simpson Chubby 1 from

Envy

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

From whom?

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry ..... Envy

brit likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well in case any of you have missed my experience with Envy ..... they sent me the wrong size knot and are unresponsive to my emails; which means I'll never use them again.

So in search of a quality knot for my Simpson Chubby 1, I've began to look at TGN specifically their High Mountain White knot any thoughts or opinions?

:eatdrink047:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Every brush I have ever had restored was done so with a knot from TGN. Never had any issues at all. Not with the shipping and not with the quality. That's where I plan on getting the three knots for my restores that you are doing.

Enrico likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I really enjoy Maggard's knots and the one I installed (a SHD knot) in my Simpson K3 is fantastic, but I haven't tried a High Mountain White yet.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I haven't tried the HMW from TGN, but used a number of the 2 band finest that they had put out. Recently I reknotted my dad's Vulfix 404 and used a Maggard's mixed knot. It is not bad but really doesn't compare to the Semogue knots that I am used to using.

Give a HMW a try and if you dont like it, pull it and try something else.

Enrico likes this.
  10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The TGN knots are good, but they won't be as dense as the original chubby knot. For that, you would either need to send the brush to Simpsons for re-knotting, or order a shavemac D01 Silvertip. Perhaps one of the SHD (super high density) knots from the various resellers would be equivalent?

The Chubby and Duke lines from Simpson have denser knots than the rest of the lineup.

If you go with TGN, I recommend you set the knot slightly deeper to compensate for the lack of density.

brit and Enrico like this.
  11. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Sure. Same company. Porsches are just VWs with dreams of glory.

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Completed

IMG_2148.jpg

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    What knot did you end up going with? And did you change anything from the previous knot?

Looks good, though I wonder if it should be set deeper? I like really scrubby brushes though.

brit likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's a 23mm HMW from TGN ..... I set the depth by Simpson specs, but it's a larger knot with out enlarging the hole

Will see how it works out.

:signs002:

Ijustmissedthe50s, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Going with the 23mm will give you more density than the 22. I'm just not sure it will have enough backbone for your preference.

Enrico and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

Enrico likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you Gary

:happy088:

brit likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll have to try it out soon, but I just finished restoring a badly damaged Simpson Tulip as well ....... even I thought it was a goner.

:)

Ijustmissedthe50s, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  19. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Coming in late, but I'd pull the knot and send it to Simpson with a pic of my collection and a sob story wanting my grandfather's brush restored by only them. Whatever they'd charge, I'd gladly pay.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk