Simpson synthetic?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Macktheknife, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Have a yaqi and a Muhle. What would I gain from buying a Simpson synthetic?

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    A third synthetic. IMO (even though I own a CH2 Synthetic), unnecessary.

theFAT98 likes this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

A simpson handle?

jwr3265 likes this.
  4. Macktheknife

Um, okay. Does the chubby lather differently than the Muhle?

5. Primotenore

Article Team
    That was my exact point above. With your eyes closed, you won't notice anything different. Now, there are those that swear by their synthetics. I have the one and take it when I travel. To me...they're nothing special. I prefer animal fur/hair/bristles on my face.

theFAT98 and wristwatchb like this.
  6. Macktheknife

What are ya tryin' to do, save me $?

Rhody, wristwatchb and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Perish the thought! TSD rules won't allow any absurd talk of saving money. First, @Primotenore talks you out of a Simpson synthetic. Once doubt has crept into your mind, then he suggests a Simpson Chubby 2 in Manchurian. He might even post a photo of the brush to stir a stronger emotional response. It's subtle enabling at its finest from one of TSD's best. ;)

https://www.shaving.ie/simpson/ :innocent

Screwtape and Primotenore like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    I would NEVER do such a thing...

IMG_4768.jpg
    :)

theFAT98 and wristwatchb like this.
  9. Macktheknife

Aha! Okie dokie. I'll take one of each. In each color. And every size.

Seriously, hear bout extra density, just wondering if the Simpson is that different from the Muhle....

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Depends which Muhle you have. I had a couple Muhle small brushes with knots in the 20mm or so range. Definitely noticed a difference between them and my Simpson Chubby 26mm synthetic. Actually, I don't have the Muhle brushes anymore because I found the knots too anemic. That was a function of the knot size, however, not the fibres. The fibres themselves were much of a muchness. And I don't truthfully notice much difference between the Simpson and my similar sized Tuxedo and Cashmere knot synthetics.

I think Simpson Chubbies were something special on the market when they first came out, because nobody else was making brushes with knots stuffed that full in what looked like a 24mm-sized handle. The result was what was called the "wall of badger feel". However, now Yaqi and any number of other companies are making equally dense and large synthetic knots ranging from 24 to 35mm -- at a fraction of the Simpson price. I think a lot of the uniqueness of the Simpson Chubby is gone now.

Do I like my Simpson Chubby? Yes. Would I bother buying it again when I now have custom wood-handled brushes mounted with equally dense 24mm Cashmere and Tuxedo synthetic knots? No. It's not worth the premium.

Just my two cents.

11. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Not worth the money in my opinion.

Screwtape and Primotenore like this.
  12. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

At home I use almost exclusively badger hair...but for travel synthetics are my choice, because of obvious reasons. For a long time I had a WD synthetic, but it was just too soulless for me and so I asked on various forums, what the closest synthetic to a badger brush would be.

The overwhelming answer was either a Muhle/EJ XL or a Chubby 2 Synth

I bought both of them and for me there are quiet different.

The Chubby 2 is the closest synthetic to a badger - but it also behaves a bit like a badger. It needs longer loading/building building, hogs a bit, needs a bit longer to dry - but on the other hand produces badger quality lather. For me, it was just pointless as a travel brush, and so I kept only the Muhle.

The Muhle has more "soul" than all other synths I have tried (except the Chubby of course), yet still has the advantages of a synthetic brush (faster lather building, quicker drying time).

So if you want a luxurious brush close to a badger, I would of course recommend a badger :D :D :D but if you insist on a synthetic, the Chubby 2 is the one to go for

If you are looking for a travel brush, that still has more soul than your typical synthetic, I would recommend the Muhle XL.

Rhody and Screwtape like this.
  13. Macktheknife

Thanks. Guess I will stick with my Muhle L.

14. wristwatchb

Just curious, have you tried a natural hair shaving brush?

15. Macktheknife

Hi, Charlie.

Oh, sure, you betcha. Use em all.

16. wristwatchb

Sounds good. Everybody has different preferences, but the natural hair brushes just work better for me than synthetics. I get a nicer lather, and it builds quicker. Better face feel too, in my opinion. I wanted to make sure you weren't missing out.

I have one synthetic brush. It has a figured maple handle with a 24 mm APShaveCo Tuxedo knot. @jtspartan made a few these "limited edition" brushes for guys that frequent 30 Day Rule / Focus thread, and I was fortunate to receive one. I've had Omega and Edwin Jagger Synthetics (gave both of them away), and I prefer this one over those two. It has a nice face feel, and I can start shaving quicker because I don't have to soak it first. I can make a good lather with it, but I just can't get loads of creamy thick lather like I can with a natural hair brush. I'm sure my technique just needs work.

Good luck in your search for the ultimate brush!

SOTD_071918.jpg

Screwtape likes this.
  17. Macktheknife

Is there an ultimate brush? Razor? Soap? And if there is, will it be obsolete next year? Who is John Galt?

I guess we all find stuff we like, then wonder if something better is around the corner.

18. wristwatchb

I've gone through the accumulation phase of razors, soaps, blades, brushes, etc. I'm having fun using what I have and working to improve my technique. I've got years worth of blades, soaps, creams, and aftershaves and a pile of razors and brushes. I've slowly been thinning down the herd to what I really like to own and use. Everybody is different. Have fun!

Screwtape likes this.
  19. Macktheknife

Yep. Half a dozen Badgers, maybe ten boar and another half dozen synthetic brushes have come and sometimes gone along with multiple razors, soaps, blades. Cheaper than single malt, fast women, or slow horses.

Enrico likes this.