Single Edge vs Double Edge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by D Pflaumer, Sep 13, 2009.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am headed to bed.. but your on.. when you get the chance send me a PM with a addy and I will send some blades..

Fuzzy:happy093

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

never did get that Addy there JoAnna :D

Fuzzy

3. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

Echo that.

GEM Micromatic open comb does it for me.

4. DV8_JERM

DV8_JERM New Member

I have used both. I like the DE best ,but everyone's face is different.

5. rainman

rainman New Member

Another plus for the SE side. There are no uneven blade exposures to worry about as you have with some DE's.

6. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I recently acquired a GEM 1912 off the 'bay, and am loving it so far. I'm still getting the hang of the technique- as it is different than my DE razors. I was expecting the SE to be much more aggressive with a higher potential for irritation; but that has not been my experience. I feel as if it's almost impossible to nick myself with this razor. My results have also been very pleasing. Once I lock in the angle, I'm able to achieve a very comfortable BBS- more comfortable than my DE's. Where I really notice the difference is on my neck. It has never felt so smooth and comfortable! My jawline is the only area where I have to go over multiple times to get smooth. I chalk that up to still being a SE newbie. With the way my neck feels, I'm sure it won't be long before my technique is perfected across my entire face.

I'm sure I will still use my DE's; but this SE has been such a joy to use. I may end up selling some of my other razors to make way for more SE's!

fram773 likes this.
  7. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

**Revive this thread**

Any fresh takes on DE vs SE?

whats the availability and cost of the blades and razors? the RazoRock Hawk is one I've seen that looks very nice aesthetically at least! Curious to get some fresh opinions on the experience of single vs double edge shaving.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Shaving...Shaving never changes.

9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

To those just tuning in.....I think the general consensus to this age old question was...

"No it's NOT a matter of personal preference"......But YES! SE's and Injectors are BETTER IN EVERY WAY!!!

Now for those interested in trying some...I just happen to be having a SALE!! :happy097:

Just Kiddin.....Actually the above remark was strickly my personal opinion, and this post would be an example of "shenanigans"

But I do think, all interested in investigating various types of shaving, DO owe it to themselves to try SE's and Injectors...many have fallen in love from the first stroke... :love055:
    Click on the link in my signature for the "Injector & SE Party" Thread to learn more than you ever wanted to know about these alternative razors.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    swarden43 and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0336.JPG
    I now have a foot in both camps. Some GEM blades are on the way to my local Walgreens. Hopefully I will be shaving with this puppy Sunday!

twhite, MR41 and Jim99 like this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Shop Rite and shave today!

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

A lot of the independent pharmacies carry the Gem Blue Star blades. These are supposed to be decent but be advised that they are Carbon Steel (not Stainless like the more common Gem blades) and need to be dried off after use.

Whatever you do... do not buy SE blades if they say "Made In Korea". Those are from Dorco (Pace) and are not suitable for shaving.

13. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I have found that I strongly prefer Schick injectors to any other razor. I sold off every other razor I had a few weeks back, and I'm happy about it.

14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I'd like to add my .02, but it's all been said so I'm gonna go with,
    YUP!!

15. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I am a diehard fan of the carbon steel Treet and GEM Blue Star blades, both are made by ASR and I suspect are the same blades just sold under different names. A very good source of stainless blades is www.connaughtshaving.com
    They have a good selection of quantities and their prices are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Do you strop them or do some bizarre incantation? I get one good beard and head shave from them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

17. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Nope. Just dry them thoroughly in a folded hand towel and store them in a small Ziplock container with a desiccant packet between uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah I can keep them rust free but not sharp enough for my head.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Checked at my local Shop Rite before Walgreens. They didn't have 'em.
    I should get them before the weekend. They shipped to the store today.

20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member