Single Malt Scotch

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Want some cheese with that? :D

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

If someone is new to drinking Scotch they probably should go with either a blended Scotch such as Dewars or with one of the lighter single malts such as Oban or Dalwhinnie. Leave the smoky ones till later. There are some good tutorials on the internet about the different areas that produce scotch. For a standard recipe there sure are wide variations between the different brands.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If you're not a scotch drinker, I'm of the opinion that a blended is a better starting point. My favorites are in no particular order
    The Famous Grouse
    Johnny Walker Black
    The Black Grouse (more peaty)

Erik Redd likes this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Just starting down this rabbit hole as a good friend pushes me towards the finer things in life. I’m a research guy (to a fault) and have decided on the following single malt offerings to start:
    Glenmorangie 10yr old
    Auchentoshan 12yr old
    The Balvenie 12yr old

Dansco and Col C like this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have done extensive personal research on this topic. I also have researched the finer bourbons. Of the three you listed (they are all decent) The Balvenie is the best (my opinion). As you continue your research you should try to sample Oban 14 and Dalwhinnie. They are my favorite. Both are a highland scotch with a softer and fruity profile. I don't care for the heavy smoke some scotch has. Most scotch will have several different styles and different aging. Almost all are better if older but then they are also more expensive. Also recommend you try some of the Japanese whiskeys. Hibiki is my favorite. For borbon try Woodford Reserve and Basil Hayden's. My opinion.

Hodge likes this.
  7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Love a Balvenie! Great shout. Their "Doublewood" is very reasonably priced as far as whiskey goes and is a wonderful dram.

I also like The Glenlivet 15 and Bruichladdich as an Islay.

8. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I will stick to Irish and American

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm from Kentucky, and I'm familiar with how bourbon is made. I assume Scotch, Irish, and Canadian whiskeys use different mash bills, barrels, and aging processes, but I'm sure there's a lot more to it. Can someone here give me the lowdown?

10. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

When tasting adding a splash of a decent mineral water can really open things up.

I like Gerolsteiner, Apollinaris, even San Pellegino in a pinch. Obviously you don't want any of the flavored varieties, just the mineral water.

11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

This will give differences between some types at the bottom,
    https://distiller.com/learn

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Scotch, by law, has to be made from barley. American whiskey (by federal law) has to be made from at least 51% corn and aged in new american white oak barrels for at least two years. Interesting though - many of the scotch brands are aged in used american whiskey barrels. Thats where Jim Beam and others send their used barrels since they cannot be used a second time.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Canadian Whisky (no e) is often referred to as Rye Whisky here, even though Rye may not be the dominant grain in the blend. There are a few standard regulations for something to be called Canadian Whisky (an official title)- it must be aged in barrels for at least 3 years, but the barrels do not have to be new.

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This thread was pulled out of the depths!!

As a scotch drinker, I would say that there is a bit of a learning curve for this particular spirit, but well worth it.
    Though I am sure the OP has had ample time to discover what he likes (since this thread is 10 years old!), I will solicit my expert advice to anyone coming across here, however.

Many consider the most approachable Scotch for Americans to be Glenfiddich since it is aged in bourbon barrels. It takes a little of the harsh edge off for newcomers, and it is a fantastic scotch for anyone looking to get into them. I would say it is equally approachable for any beginner, and a fantastic option for seasoned drinkers as well.

Blended scotches tend to garner a lot of votes for newbies as well. They don't have as much character as single malts, but they are typically very smooth, and almost always much cheaper. I would suggest either the Black grouse, monkey shoulder, or Dewars.

Once you start getting into Scotches more, the names that rule the roost are Macallan and Glenlivet. Both are high quality and found nearly everywhere.

Some drinkers stop at the above, but many connosuers find their way to aged scotches (usually 18 years and up) and/or to Islay scotches (which have amazing characteristics of smoke, peat, and salt). These are more personal decisions that only the individual Scotch drinker can decide on for their own tastes, but there are top ten lists galore if you care to surf the net.

Keithmax likes this.
  15. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Laphroaig is my favorite single malt. Peat moss, iodine, wet gauze, and burnt sticks. Delicious.

Keithmax and Erik Redd like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks gentlemen. This is helpful. I will check out the webpage link also.

jtspartan likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

that’s quite the ‘taste’ list. Sounds more at home in either a first aid kit or gardening shed.
    :D

Deeter likes this.
  18. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

That description used to be on Laphroaig's website :)

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I can believe it.
    The 'peat moss' I get, but the other descriptors (iodine, wet gauze, and burnt sticks) aren't compelling flavor profiles I'd normally seek out.

Erik Redd likes this.
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

But they are accurate, and it's quite good for sippin' You can almost taste the sea (IMHO)