Single Malt Scotch

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PalmettoB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

It's nice to hear all the favorites of people, but to get started on single malts it is important to read a little bit about the regions: Lowland, Highland, Islay, Campbeltown and Speyside. Each has its own general character, but as always there is great variation:

Lowland -- Triple distilled and lighter tasting
    Highland -- Peaty/Smoky
    Islay -- Complex --Peaty/Smoky with Salinity -- a little taste of the sea
    Campbeltown -- Wet wool, salt, smoke, fruit, vanilla and toffee flavors/scents
    Speyside -- Not so much peat and more fruity/nutty flavors

These are general characteristics -- your mileage may vary!

The next thing to know about is "sherried" whiskys. Most all single malt scotch these days are aged in used American charred oak bourbon barrels. Sherried whiskys are "finished" in used sherry casks. This gives them a sweeter, rounder flavor. These happen to be my general favorite type (though my favorite whisky is not one of this type -- go figure). Examples that are very affordable: Balvenie Doublewood, and Macallan 12 yr old.

Next is how to taste your scotch. I was first initiated to this at a pub in Minneapolis (Minnetonka) called Sherlock's Home (it is long gone, unfortunately). It was started by Bill Burdock, a Scotsman who had retired from a career as a yeast microbiologist in the scotch industry. One night a lady bartender there fed me several shots for me to compare. She told me to water them down very slightly "to release the flavor". It changed everything about scotch appreciation for me -- maybe it was here company, but I think it was the water. It worked for me. Further, she never billed me for it the whole night through!! Anyway that, subsequently, was my story and I stuck to it. I have no idea how many scotches she fed me that night, but it was about ten. I'm glad John Law did not stop me on the way home.

Years later, we made a family vacation trip to Scotland. We had a second floor apartment right on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh just across the street from St. Giles Cathedral, looking right out at the statue of Walter Francis Montagu Douglas Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch, 7th Duke of Queensberry, and right below us was Royal Mile Whiskys. We stopped in and a young fellow gave us scotch samples, telling us how to "water" them. As it turns out, each individual has a tolerance for alcohol level as far as numbing the tastebuds is concerned. In order to properly taste scotch it is best to gradually dilute it until the "pain" or "bite" goes away and reveals more of the taste. It is a bit of a balancing act, and it will likely change with experience to require less dilution. It works. It makes the "magic" explanation I received at Sherlock's Home in Minnetonka make sense. It certainly doesn't take much water. In our tour of Edinburgh, we went to a few pubs, and of course sampled the scotch. Scotch was always served in a little glass, accompanied by a small pitcher holding maybe 2 or 3 oz. of water, and emblazoned with the brand logo of the scotch served! Anyway, in your explorations, try a smidgeon of water. Go easy with it, it doesn't take much. Creep up on the level at which the drink becomes pleasurable.

By the way, my personal favorite happens to be Talisker 10 (not 18). It is described as "peppery". Folks either love it or hate it -- no inbetween. Talisker, I believe, is the only distillery on the Island of Skye. It was Robert Louis Stevenson's whisky of choice.

Cheers!
    Tony

GatorJoe likes this.
  2. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

image000000_01.jpg

@Billyfergie is the Scotsman.... maybe he can tell us all about scotch. But I just got this bottle from my wife for Valentine's day.

Billyfergie and GatorJoe like this.
  3. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

I've never had anything from a bottle priced higher than $75 (I bought it), so I can't say for sure, but the scotch I've had that is aged beyond 10 or 12 years hasn't "done it" for me. Yes, the flavors are more mellow, but to me they seem more muddled and not crisp and fresh. I'm sure age and rarity aren't the only reasons for the price, and real enthusiasts must appreciate the difference. I guess I need more practice, but price-wise, I'll stop at my Cask Strength Aberlour A'bunadh -- a great whisky. It's a "Big Deal" at almost 120 proof, but it is a sherried whisky -- my preference. I see it is now up to $90 at Total Wine -- holy cow, what's the world coming to? I've probably bought my last bottle of that. I'll probably be sticking with Macallan 12 and Balvenie Doublewood alongside my Talisker 10 if I'm buying. Of course I would never refuse a taste of any higher test stuff you may offer to me -- just let me know; I'm always willing to help!;)

Billyfergie and JohnDB like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Prefer Irish Whiskey Myself...Jamesons & Bushmills Etc..Very Smooth..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

JohnDB likes this.
  5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Macallan

6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

All types of whiskey have become so popular over the last few years there is now a growing shortage. We'll see the prices to continue to go up for awhile. Since bourbon and scotch have laws dictating how they are made, including time in the barrel - it is hard for the distilleries to catch up.

7. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I just got a taste of this scotch. (Lagavulin)

I've never had this kind before. I'm not one to spend this kind of $$$ on myself. I love my wife and she loves me.

Heavy heavy peat in this. You about have to use a toothpick to get it out of your teeth or nose. But then the smoke gets you. And you wonder where the barbeque grill is at.
    Then the subtle vanilla and leather and just a faint faint hint of cinnamon with chocolate. The blend together might make someone think of mediciney fresh mint julips...

But

Its Softer than a baby's kiss. Almost like butter going down. But then it kicks your head like a borrowed mule.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I do enjoy scotch but Lagavulin is way too smoky for me. All the scotch from the island of Islay have the same heavy smoky peat overtones. You should try some of the "highland" scotches which are lighter and more of a fruit note.