Single Pass City

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by micah1_8, Nov 3, 2009.

1. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Here lately, as in the last couple of months, I've been finding that my shaves go better if I limit myself to a single, WTG pass. For the first half of the year, I had been having great success with a double pass (WTG and ATG) but suddenly, about midsummer, things changed. What do you care about this? It's just a gentle reminder that sometimes it's a good idea to back off and shake the routine up for a while. So far, nobody has indicated that I look any less clean shaven since I cut my shaving time in half.

Have any of you noticed major changes in your routine for long periods of time?

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I discovered after getting my Weishi that I don't need to follow the rules of WTG, XTG, ATG when shaving my head. I go front to back ignoring hair growth for a first pass, then go ATG on the sides and back to get BBS on my head. Works with other razors also, but didn't have the courage to try it until I had the Weishi.

3. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I used to strop before lathering, now I strop afterward

I used to build lather in a bowl, now I build it on my face

I used to lather in front of the mirror, now I lather in the shower

I used to pass over my face two or three times with my razor, now I only pass over once

I used to spend a lot of time shaving, now I don't

But I still enjoy the results, and they keep improving :)

4. Turnz2

Turnz2 Member

Last month I was up at our cabin for a long weekend of bow deer hunting and no shaving. Sunday afternoon the kids wanted to go in to a tavern to watch the Packers so I gave a quick lather with some Maca Root and hit the face with a disposable to cut off a couple of days growth. Left for home on Monday afternoon and didn't shave again till Tuesday morning.

I think it's a good thing to give it a rest now and again and it's going to be the same plan this weekend so the old disposacrap should still qualify for neglected week.

5. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

Yeah, another thing I've taken to lately is dropping my Thursday night shave. Sometimes I'll drop Friday night, too. I've definitely noticed that I usually get a smoother shave after a few days of no shaving... but then my beard is pretty slow.

6. David6Eagle

David6Eagle New Member

I try to skip shaving now and then, but I cannot resist. If I single pass, I'm tempted to shave twice a day.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why make the shave faster???? :think002

Fuzzy

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Exactly the way I feel when I cut it down to two passes from four. Truth be told, I'd do just fine on two (or probably even one) pass per day but some days I just like to luxuriate and stretch it out. I haven't skipped a day of shaving in quite a while but I do notice that a couple days stubble results in really great shaves.

9. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Personally, I shave more for the results than I do for the process. different strokes!

10. heirkb

heirkb New Member

I have made a gradual move from bowl lathering with a preference for creams to face lathering with a preference for soaps.
    It's funny to me that a lot of people don't do 1 pass shaves, ever. I like my 3-4 pass shaves, but 1 pass shaves with a very aggressive razor and a sharp blade can be very nice if you want to quickly clean your face up.

11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The problem is after one pass, I still have all that lather. It has to go somewhere, right? The natural place is on my face. Now that it's there, I need to get it off, right. What better way than scraping it off with my razor?

12. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I went from four passes to three (most of the time, sometimes two, sometimes four if the blade has been in the razor awhile). I don't feel comfortable with one pass. I have too much stubble left. I shave until my skin feels smooth enough for my satisfaction.

I used to take short quick strokes, now I take longer, slower strokes.

I don't to ATG passes anymore either: WTG, XTG one way, XTG the other way and I'm done. My shave time is under 10 minutes start to finish.

13. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

I always make too much lather for a single pass shave...

14. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

Two pass is the bare minimum for me.
    Otherwise i feel like i didn't finished the shave.
    But for sure one pass is better on the skin .

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!

Fuzzy

16. rainman

rainman New Member

I only use one pass myself. The right razor and blade combo helps alot and can be different for everyone which makes this game hard yet fun.