single ring

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rbilly, Aug 25, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

i use all my razors ,mint ,nos or other. if i wont use it i wont buy it..

BBS, Frijolero and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Oh man... to have you as my Customer.. lol..

brit likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Glad to hear, wish everyone did the same.

BBS and brit like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Tell your buddy he can pick up a OLD for 5 bucks that will shave just as good. Send me an addy and I will PIF him one. Love the SR but not really anything special about the shave.

Primotenore likes this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

It's about 100 years old so while it may look brand new, I'd bet good money it's used. They probably know how to polish things up to make them look nice and purdy. If you really like it, there is no reason you can't make them an offer. I wouldn't pay them their asking price just as a matter of principle. If you walked in there to sell them something, they wouldn't take your offer and would counter with something else. You should do the same. I've learned that everything in the world today is negotiable. And if they won't budge on price, then you can tell them it looks really good in their display case where it can stay.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

if you have a nice rfb i am interested...

7. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Im not even looking for a case, just a working razor, im not picky lol, but anytime I find one under 40 the description is really short with no pictures of the silo doors open and no response from the seller, i bought 3 super adjustables before i got a working one, i dint want to drop over 40 for something that may not work.

brit likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Same here. I've said it before, tools are meant to be used. I personally value a tool based upon utility first and foremost. To me the only way to gauge that is to use the damn thing.

brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Online pictures seem to be the best to determine if the razor is still usable more so than anything else. I usually buy cheap as possible the first time and if I like the razor then I search for better condition upgrade unless I know the price is right to pull the trigger on right then and there for a better condition razor. The other thing I use as a guide, if it buy it can I resell it afterwards without losing my shirt. Depending the razor you can track previous sold prices on a certain website to know for sure if you are overpaying.

On the adjustables, Super, Slim, Fat Boy or variations of each ask for a picture of the side with the adjuster in the 1 and 9 position. If you don't see the plate movement between the 2 pictures the adjustment isn't working. If the seller won't provide pictures when asking pass right then and there.

If you are in the market for a Fat Boy I could be persuaded to trade (preferred) or sell one dated F 1.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

20180829_194916.jpg i bought a canadian single ring,no case ,serial # on the barrel, so an early example for $15 at a swap meet.silver plating in good shape, no bent teeth.i paid $50 for a mint old type complete with shipper from an s.p.c.a thrift shop.if i had bought these on ebay i am sure i would have payed more. unfortunately canadian $ dont go far on ebay u.s. especially with shipping.if you want it,you pay for it .for me all my u.s. purchases have gone well and been worth it. most of my mint rockets have come from quebec, home of gillette canada.most of my british gillettes came from europe where they are more abundant.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Primotenore likes this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

The case on the one at the shop is a different color, more like a tan, light brownish

12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Its hard to remember but it looked more like this, not that actual pic, just found one on google. 1916+Gillette+Bell+Handle+Aristocrat+Razor+W+Case+(1).jpg

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think I know what case you are talking about. If it's cardboard, in good shape, with the cardboard blade bank, it's worth $200-250, even with cracks in the handle. A Mayfair or Empire Deluxe set? I used to own all three. One of my biggest regrets is selling them.

I would be skeptical about no cracks in the handle. 99% of those razors have cracks, it just might be very fine and hard to see without a magnifying glass.

14. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Its hard to explain, ill hit up the shop this weekend, but the case was slightly different but had the two gold blade banks. I believe the felt was red.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Looking at the mr razor sight looks like its the wrong combo, old type in aristocrat case but i dont know lol its all running together now.