Skunkworks Brush Project - New Tuxedo Synthetic Knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JR Reyes, Aug 26, 2016.

1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

If I'm correct, Peter is not offering the knots for individual sale.

In addition, the ones made for APShaveCo were made with extra density.

I'm just happy to see more variety in terms of synthetic shave knots. I'm very happy with this knot...and can't wait to see to see what comes next.

Douglas Carey and Tdmsu like this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Now for the million dollar question. Higher end synthetic knots feel great but the don't hold water vs badger/boar/horse. How does this one "hold up" ?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

Very good question.

In my experience, the plisson-style knot that I have does splash and release water while I'm face lathering.

The fact that this knot is more dense, does help with the water retention and feeling of "backbone". I didn't feel like the water was releasing as I was face lathering.

Granted it's still not the same water retention of a badger knot. I treat each knot as it's own. I like having the variety and options. But, for me, I will take the soft face feel of these synthetic tips over a badger knot.

Douglas Carey and Tdmsu like this.
  4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

You are quite correct @JR Reyes. Peter Wolf only makes and sells custom brushes; not individual knots or handles. And, honestly, I'm not at all sure if his Black Wolf knot and the ones from APShaveCo are the same, but they sure look like it. Anyway, if you want a custom handle with a wonderful black and white synthetic, then Wolf Whiskers' brushes are the bomb. Though, I'm with you these days, I really like the looks of vintage handles with new knots in them. I have been doing a few myself and really like the way the synthetic knots work in my older handles.
    _DSC7718.jpg

Douglas Carey, Tdmsu and JR Reyes like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Tuxedo knot.
    A question for those that already have. These are shipping from Canada. Is there either a long delay at US Customs, or an additional tax due because this is an "import"?

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

No and no. Go for it. It's a nice knot.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I did!
    Keep Calm and Pull the Trigger.png

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That knot makes me want another synthetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, JR Reyes and Tdmsu like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

This knot will be my second synthetic, but my first brush restore.

10. JR Reyes

I can honestly say It's not like all other synthetics. I really like this one.

Douglas Carey and RyX like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hey fellas, I now have a brush! (Burma Shave).. I look forward to getting the hang of it(and its use in shave soaps).

12. JR Reyes

Wait....like just barely got a brush? What have you been using?

13. Paul Turner

Canned cream/foam, and still will. The brush/puck route will be in addition.

Douglas Carey and JR Reyes like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You'll love the new addition Paul.

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Oh, I'm sure I will. Here's a question-when the pucks arrive, it's up to us to soften them up, right? I mean-they arrive in "chunks" I presume?

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The puck should be in the form of a hockey puck. To the best of my knowledge some face lather with the puck, others put it in a bowl or container and lather from there. I'm sure there are many other ways of doing it. Many will chime in on this I'm sure. Have a good day!

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Well, that's what I look forward to. Y'know, there was a time-I think before I joined here-that I DID have a puck(from Stephan's)..and I just scooped in to face lather-didn't have a brush. But I soon decided I didn't like the "coconut-on-steroids" fragrance. Did provide a smooth feeling, though.

18. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I wish this brush was more fan shaped.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

There will be options!

Face lathering styles;

You can wet your face, rub the dry (assuming a hard soap)
    bar/puck on your beard, and make lather directly on your skin.

Like above, and apply a moistened brush for better coverage.

Or moisten the brush, rub it on the soap (load), then make lather on your face.

Then there's bowl lathering;

Drop the puck into a suitable container; OldSpice mug, coffee mug, tupperware, etc. Applying moist brush to soap, agitate to both load soap to brush, & create lather in the soap container.

Or load soap on the moist brush, then go to a different container. Scuttles, textured bowls, cereal bowls, etc. give a bit of elbow room to really whip that brush around. That's where you get that yogurt creamy,whipped egg whites peaks lather. Fun to do, but wasteful of soap until you learn to go easy loading the brush.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm not sure who set the trend. Bulb is about all that's offered now days. I like a brush with all the bristles ending the same length.

Douglas Carey and dangermouse like this.