smartphone

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by icemanwbs, Nov 12, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Need to buy a new / used smartphone. Using android on straight talk now, but looking at windows phones. Anyone have ideas or comments ?

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I got my sister a Moto G (1st Gen.) with 4G LTE and she loves it. I put in a SanDisk 32 GB micro SD card for extra storage. The phone is only $220 unlocked, which means you can switch between carriers that use GSM networks. If AT&T pisses you off, you can always switch to T-Mobile, and vice versa. You can also use local SIM cards if you travel overseas, which saves mucho $$$. My brother in law has a Windows phone and likes it a lot. Windows phones get bashed quite a bit, but usually for no good reason. There are fewer apps available for the Windows phone than for the iPhone and Android handsets, though. The Windows phones seem to otherwise work as well as any others.

I was told long ago by a phone company employee that Motorola phones have the best reception. Based on my own experience over the years, that is true. A friend's HTC One M8 is the only other brand I have seen to work as well out in the boondocks.

I strongly recommend going with an unlocked no-contract phone. You can get much better phone plans from the cellular providers that way, at least from AT&T and T-Mobile. Bear in mind that cost = the cost of the phone and the cumulative cost of your monthly bills. It is also important to remember that many folks are total fanboys / fangirls when it comes to their phones. Despite what they might say, "I love my phone so it is the best" is emotion, not logic.

Just my 2 cents and all IMHO.

3. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

My wife has the 4G LTE version of the Moto G as well and she really likes it. I think a lot depends on what you have now. Do you need and/or want higher performance, or are you an average user with Phone, the occasional game and a little internet?

I would look at used phones too. I've actually had better luck with the phones I've bought used than I have my most recent new phone, and you can get them for very reasonable prices from Glyde.

4. icemanwbs

Thanks, I'm used to android, but I find myself using my kindle for most things anymore. Also my phone is kinda old and buggy now, lags, shuts off. Even some apps cause it to crash. I'm looking on ebay and Amazon for a windows phone that I can use with Straight Talk.

5. TideFan195

TideFan195 Member

I have a Windows phone - Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon. If you are coming from Android, it is going to be a huge change. I love the OS, but if you like apps, you are going to be sorely disappointed by the selection. It is nowhere what you will get with Apple or GooglePlay. But I do like it. One of my biggest complaints with a Windows phone on Verizon is that Verizon is being VERY slow with putting out OS updates. They lag behind everybody.

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If you are looking for bargain basement phones, the Moto E would be worth considering. $129 new is hard to beat, especially for a smartphone. Straight Talk apparently supports both GSM and CDMA phones, so you would be good to go as far as that is concerned.

What is your current phone? It might help people make recommendations if we knew what your were trying to improve upon.

7. icemanwbs

My current phone is an old galaxy s1.....I've rooted it and run android 4.2.2 custom Rom now so I'm pretty good with that sort of stuff. I'm just not thrilled with how laggy and unstable it is. I just want a phone that works, texting, send pics, check email and a little surfing. Looking at windows.....Nokia and HTC....USED

8. icemanwbs

I guess as long as the intended device works within straight talks bands it should be ok. Now just need to decide whether better to get Nokia or HTC. And which.