Smelling like a Dad.

Discussion in 'Scents' started by Badger-Face, Feb 27, 2014.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is correct. The fragrance was also changed with additions of menthol and mint to the original AV base. I have a bottle of the original AV and it smells nice but it is different from the ICE Blue AV.

Here is how AV looked in 1929 ad. The color of the liquid was a dark yellow. AV was first introduced in 1917 as an aftershave but many people would during prohibition and later on would drink it for the alcohol content. The formula was changed during WWII for that reason.

[​IMG]

http://connecticuthistory.org/the-aqua-velva-state-today-in-history/

After J.B. Williams sold the AV brand a few more smaller reformulations took place until we have the current product.

Badger-Face and richgem like this.
  2. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

It sounds great to me lol. Unfortunately I couldn't find any in any stores. So I ordered the one I thought sound the most appealing. I'm pretty sure I will like it and that my wife will. 27-31 age group lol. I always wore the new young citrus scents but now I'm wearing Stetson, and Halston now days. So I guess old man is in to me now. I still like my big brand colognes of course. It really just depends on what I am doing. The scents I have read about in bay rum just sound amassing to me. Bay is a nice scent rum is too. I have colognes that have a whiskey smell and love them one with gin as well. So if I wind up not liking it I guess I can always just drink it... :) Thanks for the great info.

3. Badger-Face

That's so funny to me. But, I guess when you need a drink you need a drink.

4. Badger-Face

I can't wait to show my dad this info by the way thanks..

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Just notice the fine skins of men who use Williams shave cream and Aqua Velva" :eek:
    Just don't stare....

Dang....I suppose I now need a 'Face Fitness' coach.

Badger-Face likes this.
  6. deckard313

deckard313 Member

My dad was an Aqua Velva man in the Navy from the Cuban Missle Crisis till he died back in November....mom has his bottle in the bathroom still....:angelic007::)

7. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

I remember my dad wearing English Leather to church, or uf we went out to special occasions... He gave me tge bottle not too long ago. Told me its about as old as I am. I need to continue the practice and wear it to church. I just have to start going, and stop reaching for the Clubman.

Badger-Face likes this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Dad's smell like a leather wallet and money to their charges.

Radiotube and Badger-Face like this.
  9. aelfred_allspach

aelfred_allspach Active Member

My grandfather, my dad was never around so he raised me, always wore old spice and my grandmother accidentally broke his embossed refillable bottle :(

Badger-Face likes this.
  10. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Hey! Don't Diss "The Veg"

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

But the Veg does smell terrible :(

12. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

The "Veg" is omnipotent.

13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

You have potent right. :p

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  14. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Anyone remember Wildroot Hair Tonic?

That was the horrible, greasy concoction my parents would armor case my hair with for church, school pics etc. This was back in the very early 70's when I was a kid...

My dad wore Stetson, Old Spice and Brut, none of which I can stand anymore. I think it's primarily because we were allowed to have our own, and my brother and I would practically bathe in the stuff...

My tastes also seemed to align with my grandfather. He was a Clubman and AV Musk guy. I still wear both of those all these years later. I don't really mind smelling like a dad now that I am one...

Badger-Face likes this.
  15. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Thread resurrection!

OK, only recently since I've started DE shaving, and reading TSD, I have started buying products I never did before. With that said, and keeping in line with this thread...

I usually just use whatever scent post shave balm for the day and nothing extra. Sometimes a spritz of cologne. The other day I noticed Walmart has Stetson aftershave now, along with aqua velva, brute, and the usual lectric shave. Today I decided to get a bottle of brute. I splashed some on when I got home and it reminds me of dad after coming home from work. The wife says it reminds her of all the teenage boys in highschool...from their overuse. Now I need to call mom and see what dad used to use...

I also notice, and recognized only because of its mention here in TSD, that Walgreen's and Rite Aide sell Pinaud Clubman. I'm intrigued now and just might get some. As always I came home and researched its availability and price and surprisingly, it was reasonably priced at these pharmacy stores. Within $1 and change of online store prices. They didn't have lime, or rum...just the yellow looking bottle.

I know scents are subjective but what would you compare the Clubman to? Spice, floral, musk....? I know some of you use it because I see the bottle in SOTD photos.

trey06dmd likes this.
  16. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Wet shaving and my home state. Schick, Williams, Enders gotta be more.

Herm2502 likes this.
  17. BigMark

Like a barbershop.

Mustache likes this.
  18. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

Well that's not bad.. Barbershops actually smell nice, I think. Clean I guess I'd say.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. BigMark

It can linger and be a little potent but YMMV.

Mustache likes this.
  20. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My dad wears Axe. He devolved in scents.