Smooth Skin - Microdermabrasion

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by TstebinsB, Jul 29, 2007.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I've always had skin issues of some kind, usually related to acne. Well, my acne has subsided immensly but years of using various creams, gels, and lotions has left with rough, damaged skin. I'm only 24 y/o and it makes me look older than I really am. I want my smooth skin back. Drinking plenty of water and healthy eating does help. Now I want the final touchup.

I've been thinking about getting Microdermabrasion done. It can be expensive but I can finally afford it. Anyone here had it done before or know someone who did and got great results? Also, if there's a chemically safe product out there that works well, I'd be willing to try it instead of doing this. Thanks.

2. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Acne

Hi Telly,

I find myself in the same spot as you bro , but im only 34 ! I look 24 easy but thats cuz I got mom's genes to thank for. and I played sports my whole life that does help keep you fit and young. I too came to grasp that Ive been scarring my face and Im fed up with it. I have used the normal soaps like Clearasil , wont work. 2 years ago I bought from ebay the stuff called Glycolic Acid in different strenght 15%,30% and 70% ! the 15% burns like hell on the face so let alone I would try the 70% . that stuff does help peel the deadcells of your skin but ! Scarring can easy occur because it does burn skin off !
    Im Asian considered my skin /race would be considered Hindu.
    so what I did was I went to a beautyshop and have them take a look at my skin all they did was give me a fruit peeling and started to squash all the acne by hand I thought I didnt have that many on my face but she was busy sqaushing for 20 minutes! she didnt give me any medication just a tiny facial cream to test and an aftershave balsem also a tester both useless because in 3ml you cant really test something if its working.
    the next week I had to come back and she woul briefly look at my skin she was happy there is improvement.
    The problem for my type of skin is (asian) my pores are smaller and it is not getting hot or warm enough in Holland thats why the bad stuff cant be sweated out and I get acne spots about 2-3 new once a week so I dont have HEAVY acne like some people or else id been at the doctor way before ! but those 2-3 annoy be to death and I start picking them and there you go another scar. They adviced me facial steams ,going to the sauna or simply sitting in the sun alot because my skin needs it.

Im doing facial washes twice a day, after I wake up and before going to bed.
    I also spray Tea Tree Floral water before going to bed that helps too.
    My next apppointment she is going to do an Asian Peel. they are treating my face with natural peels first to get it undercontrol after that they will go for the scar spots and use some kind of machine to get rid of the spots.

I have not been to my own doctor and my health insurance does cover all acne treatments.
    My Nephew had sever acne and he went to a doctor got some meds and its all cured so you got two options go to your doctor or go thru a beautyshop/dermatologist.
    I also use a peach scrub twice a week to get rid of dead skin. that is a must to atleast scrub twice a week.

ps

Im a big Bruce Lee fan , the guy was out of this world for sure the best martial artist that ever lived his one finger punch still mindblows me.

3. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Tomorrow I will make an appointment to a highly regarded plastic surgeon in the NY area. I'm going to hear what he says. Hopefully, he isn't too expensive but I expect him to be. Just in case, I have another place to do the actual procedure. I just want his expert opinion before I get anything done.

I NEVER drank water growing up. In fact, a few years ago I realized I was pretty lucky to be living so well (I was also a two sport athlete). According to test results, I lived most of my life dehydrated. As such, the lack of hydration limited cell renewal, muscle recovery, toxin removal, and my general youthful countenance. So for me, eating well and drinking water should be fine after some time. My mother also looks very young for her age and I've been told I look like her. My problem is my impatience. I'm young now so I want to look young NOW. Not after a few years of proper drinking and eating.

Bruce Lee will forever be the man. I want to do martial arts of some kind before I get too old to start. The physical benefits are obvious but I would like it for the mental toughness and discipline it nurtures.

4. SSLSTudio...

If you want Mental thougness and spiritual thougness Id advice you Aikido I have been doing it for 6 years myself , untill I injured my neck in 2005 during an Aikido summer school in Zweden , I thought well I'll recover quick nothing to it but boy was I mistaken. I tried getting back into it twice but both lessons rendered me ok im not as fit or good as before . had to visit a Chiro doctor for a few months till I heard of a different doctor who doesnt crack your neck I got two sessions from him and then he said your on ya own now cant do anything for you anymore. I still have a cracking sound in my left shoulder but it shouldnt stop me from my aikido progression. I have done Ji-Jutsu before Aikido . I have got some Jeet Kun-Do books but I got them when I was 12 from a neighbour you cant really study from books definitly Jeet Kun-Do and def. Aikido you need a teacher.

Your 24 then I advice you get started with Aikido like yesterday ! since its a very difficulty martial art . myself I call it meditational movements thats how it looks to the untrained eye. dont think you'll be Steven Seagul because it takes years of training untill you finally understand the deeper concept behind aikido and its movements with Aikido your struggling up till your black belt and really start to learn once you get the blackbelt.
    In Europe its a big thing getting your blackbelt in Aikido because it takes roughly 5-7 years of dedicated training in Japan its not a big thing because they train so much there you can do it in 3-4 years !
    Click steven's name it will take you to a link where he gives a demostration in Japan it will give you some ideas and yes those wrist locks are painfull !

Right now I have been bodybuilding for a few months and doing cardio training I will start with my aikido training on 15th of August I cant wait till im back again and my Sensei is very happy im comming back. you need good Uke's that means what Steven is showing you in that clip is nice but its because the men attacking him now how to react or roll out of a technique without knowing how to counter energize whats comming at you you simply break your arm or wrist or neck ! thats why there is NO competition in Aikido .

As not to hi-jack your thread I shall stop if you want personal guidance into the martial art world or some Aikido school in your neighbourhood I could help you just PM me. I have missed 2 exams due to this neck injury if not id be 2 exams away from my blackbelt :mad:

Good luck with the doctors and keep me posted here how it goes.

another clip for you Seagul in his younger years ! why I respect him ? He learned from O sensei (the founder of Aikido )

5. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

Right now, I'm doing High Intensity Training (weight training) and after a few weeks, I'll do some cardio training. I'm going to start doing tabata intervals. I wanted to learn Thai Kali but I've pretty much given up on martial arts. I barely have time for the little I do.

As for the microdermabrasion, I decided to pass on the procedure. There are way too many variables in getting microdermabrasion done on dark skin. Healthy eating, consistent exercise, and a simple cosmetic regimen should be fine. I'm not THAT impatient.

6. SSLSTudio...

Good for you, you only have one Face and its extremely dangerous to mess it up just remember Michael Jackson.
    I know HIT the system im doing is based on HIT aswell and it does work it aint cheap because you have a personal coach training with you with each session.
    Im going to train 8 more lessons 2 months simply because I paid in advance but then Ill take it back to my garage and will buy some fittness machines you dont need much just need to know the right excersizes.

www.power-of-10.com

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Good for you. The results could have been very dicey.

I think I need to start an exercise thread.

8. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I was thinking of the same thing...

9. Zeni

Zeni New Member

Try the Loreal microderm you can get it just about anywhere. My wife used it, works very nice.

10. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I'll look it up. Thanks.

11. jramire2

jramire2 Member

A while back (say a year or so) I did a ton of research on acne, herbal remedies, etc. I'm 30 and still get, IMO, quite a bit of acne. I've found that it's cyclical. For 2-3 weeks I can have only say 5-8 blemishes on my face at any one time. Then I have a stressed out week, or something hormonal changes or something and all of a sudden I've got 20 something blemishes all at once.

Back to the subject, while I was doing a ton of research, I came upon a lot of sites that touted the benefits of pantothenic acid(vitamin B5) for acne, here's one of them.

So, after reading about it's benefits on a lot of sites, I pulled the trigger and started doing it. Now, I did suffer from some of the symptoms noted, but nothing bad enough to make me want to stop taking them. It took a good 3-5 weeks before I noticed anything, but once I did the results were really really good. And one of the other benefits besides reduced acne was smaller pores. I've read that it's due to the B5 reducing how much oil is being pushed through your pores, and b/c of this your pores shrink (or appear to) and your skin is smoother. This definitely happened for me, my forehead looked like it did when I was 18, no frown lines or anything.

Anyway, there are lots of recommended regimens out there in regards to how much should be taken at first and when you can start stepping down. I was down to 2-3 grams a day and my skin still looked good. But after a while, even though my skin looked really good, I figured it was due to other changes I'd made (DE shaving, a different face wash, etc) and quit taking the stuff. Now, honestly, my skin doesn't look as good and last month I broke down and went to a dermatologist. Now I'm using glycolic pads every other night and ziana (Retin-A) on the other nights, AND I'm taking tetracyclene pills. I'm seeing similar results, but I think I'll break down and start taking B5 again. Long term, I'm not sure if it's healthy to basically acidically peel the top layer of your skin off every other night, and then regrow it the next night, which is basically what my prescriptions are doing.

Anyway, check it out, it might work for you.

12. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I used herbal supplements to help with my severe acne. Nothing else worked. I really cleaned up my diet, drank a lot of water, and took the pills. In 3-4 months, my skin looked better than I ever remembered. I've had a problem with acne since I was 11 - I'm now 24 - so it'd be hard to remember my acne-free skin at 10 years old. It wasn't always severe but when it was bad, it was really bad. The herbalist told me to take the pills for 6 months and I'd essentially be "cured." I'd just have to continue eating a healthy diet and keeping up my daily water intake. That was fine with me since everyone should do that, regardless of whether you suffer from acne. Of course, I never went through with the whole 6 months and my acne issues came back. It's not as bad as before but it's still there.

I read up on B5 as well and I'm just not comfortable taking a lot of any vitamin. At this point, the only pills I'm willing to take and am currently taking are those same herbal supplements. I'm going through the 6 month treatment again. I'm tired of the one day clear, one day blemish inconsistency. Thanks for the suggestion though.

13. SSLSTudio...

beautyshop Acne Treatment.

I would also like to add, going to a beautyshop to get a treatment will help aswell.

my Face feels like WOW ! PEACHY SKIN ! its awesome and its only the 2nd session that I now feel a renewed facial skin.

I would say if you get 20 blemishes then you have severe acne ! thats alot !
    im bitching here about acne but its about 4-5 breakouts in 2 weeks time.
    My Neck area is very quiet ZERO almost but thats due to DE shaving offcourse I know how to treat the Neck DE shaving does help you out ! if you have severe acne be carefull aswell not to choose the wrong Shaving cream product that might actually trigger an outbreak and adverse the DE advantage.

What they did at the beautyshop for me was they simply do a fruit peel I believe they clean the face very well first.. and you will get some layers of stuff that they rubb off then lotion your face, then re-layer while a steaming machine keeps your face warm..that goes on for about 35-40m then your ready.. they will manually go over your whole face and squeez out the pimples they see or finding any breakouts to be about in the near future.
    they will use a needle for really stuborn pimples.

In the end the lady gave me a short neck/back massage as a bonus NICE !

each of these treatments take a 4 weeks interval because once you have a peeling it takes about 30 days for your face to regrow its cells ! thats why no way can you do this faster or more often then ONCE A MONTH !

so peeling PADS are a NO NO ! unless they are extremely mild ! for example I have had a prof. peeling done now and have to wait a month I will use the mild apricot facial scrub to gently exfoliate the face remember there is a difference between a PEEL and mild Exofliation.

Id advice go for it try the fruit peel and IMPORTANT ! before you do DO NOT SHAVE ON THE DAY YOUR GETTING THE PEEL ...

I have minor scars left now and they will treat that too I just dont know when im scheduled in september for my 3rd peel they are first making sure my facial breakouts are now to a minimum then they will fix the scars I hope.

14. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

That's great info Rene. I thought microdermabrasion was my only option and now I know it's not.