So, how long has it been, since you stopped using Cartridge Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaltonGang, Jun 1, 2018.

1. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Apparently we're all fools for liking razors, just shine up the edge on a K-BAR or Camillus, and scrape that crap of your face!!! :happy088:

Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

But a razor is a razor is a razor!!! There is ZERO difference between the two!

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will but some of your SE stuff. Heck I will even throw in a can of goo or two.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My shot at DE was humor. In use there is not. The blade is held at a proper angle with proper pressure and it shaves.

RyX likes this.
  5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

By telling us that we're wasting our time and money, that we should just get a razor from the five and dime because they're all the same?

Jim99 and Boojum1 like this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Then why do you prefer single edge? If they are all the same, then explain TOST.

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

But you already have razors, they are all the same, right?

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

The Model T was pretty tough.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Like a Schick injector?

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m not trying to offend or cause trouble here, so please note this is just my observation...

Most all of us here moved on from cartridges for a reason. Maybe it was price, better shaves or the allure of something different. Did we find what we were looking for?

There were a number of razors that I acquired that I simply didn’t like, felt they were inferior and I sold them. Sure, they all would shave, but some were better than others. I kept the better ones.

Maybe it’s the handle, the head, the type of blade, the aggressiveness, etc. Liking a razor is usually based on both the shave qualities and our perception. What works for me might not work for you and I get that. Someone might think a Gillette blue tip is great for them, but it simply will not work on someone with a heavy beard and requires a red tip. Technique does count significantly towards the quality of the shave, but the hardware also contributes.

How many people in 100 years from now will be seeking out Gillette fusions or Bic disposables?

So is a razor is a razor is a razor? Is that what we’ve been posting about here since the beginning of The Shave Den? Have our collective experiences brought us full circle to determine that it never mattered in the first place?

Keithmax, GatorJoe, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  11. T_I

T_I Active Member

Americans and their fascination with inches... You'd expect they would be the first to go metric, after kicking the empire out, but no... :D

12. T_I

T_I Active Member

Drat, no riot. ;)

For me it was price, 3-4 euro per week for a shave that has to be done again within 8 hours was just crazy. When I got mu hands on a DE, ordered a test package of blades and started experimenting. Although bloody, the first shave with a DE was already better then I ever had with a cartridge razor. That was for me the moment to stay with DE. It saves me about 3,= per week (main reason) and gives a smoother shave (very nice bonus)

So yeah, I did find what I was looking for. (and to be honest, another hobby to get out of hand... collecting razors)

Keithmax, Frijolero, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  13. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm a Brit and I still can't do metric or Celsius.

There again, I left the UK in the mid 70's. I can still manage pounds, shillings and pence though!

brit, Keithmax, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

We like you anyway.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

We are working on it. Every American now know what 2 liters looks like. It's right at half a gallon! (Do Canadians really buy their milk in bags?) Thanks to brush knots I know an inch is 25-1/2mm.

It's going to take time to shift manufacturing to user sensibilities. As a carpenter Imperial measurements forced me to learn fractions. Metric decimals are much easier to compute.

brit, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

My caliper is in inches, every time I mess with a brush I have to convert all the numbers. :prrr:

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  17. kfbrady

It would be nice for my tool chest not to need imperial, metric and even Whitworth.

The temperature scales get me messed up. I can work them out without too much trouble but I spent a couple of years living in Phoenix so I know the difference between 95F and 105F. Then I spent two years living in Montreal so I know the difference between -5C and -15C. It's the temps in between that get me confused!

Keithmax, Frijolero and Boojum1 like this.
  18. kfbrady

Well, thank you! I do have U.S. nationality too.

And after spending half of my life in England and half in America my accent, grammar and spelling are best described as totally messed up.

Don't get me started on aluminium.

19. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

First we slip the bags right onto the cow, eh, and then we slide'em straight off to market don'cha kno. It is the fastest way, eh. I love bagged milk. ;)

If ya dont believe me, just ask these guys, our nationally appointed Canadian experts

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I also like Remington pump shotguns better then I do other brands. A pump is pretty much a pump. We all have favorites. TOST is for people who share the love of SE and Injectors. Most there use all types of razors. I use straights..shavettes..DE ...SE ...and injectors. I prefer SE. But in use it is the same as DE. Angle and pressure. TOST is my social club I guess.

brit, Keithmax and TobyC like this.