So, trash or training razor ?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by NapalmCola, Dec 27, 2015.

1. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

I have this KROP ? razor, hard to read the lettering. And the poor thing is in sad shape. There is some barely visible lettering on the blade as well as.

My question is if it is not able to be saved and used as a daily shaver would it be in good enough condition to use it to practice with ? I'm worried I may ruin the items I use it on. Strop, stones etc.
    Maybe I can use it to get a feel for pastes etc.
    Who knows maybe even practice putting new scales on it someday.
    What do you think , trash or training ?
    uploadfromtaptalk1451248405066.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1451248412404.jpg

2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Looks rough but I have one I'm keeping around to attempt to restore that's almost as bad. You may not be able to put an edge on it if the pitting is as bad as it looks. First step would be to fix the edge with a deep bevel set to see if you have good steel in there. @gssixgun has talked about it some maybe he can clarify because I'm terrible at explaining things. It looks like the edge is wavy too so the deep bevel might fix that too.

NapalmCola and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Honer

Honer Member

Tha looks pretty rough. Hard to say for sure but it looks like it was once on a buffer rounding out the previous hone wear on the spine. The edge is also way out of alignment. Maybe a regrind candidate. It will take some work to get through those pits. It is doable, but at what price. Unless you can do the work yourself I would pass. Great razors can be had for <$75 if you know what you are buying..

NapalmCola likes this.
  4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The blade has a very uneven frown. If you could make the edge straight you'd have little metal left for a razor. Also, the face of the blade is deeply pitted and the spine are worn out. I would say not useable.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    NapalmCola likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Oh my….. I would find another practice blade that doesn't have so many issues.
    Spine wear, uneven wonky edge, deep pitting. Too many salvageable, usable blades out there to spend time on this literal piece of Kropp. :D
    (Kropp does make some fine razors, by the way.)

6. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

IMO, level it, then sharpen the edge on a belt sander or similar and use it as a box cutter!

NapalmCola and RyX like this.
  7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Deaden the edge and use it as a spine blank for making new scales. Its at least good for a spacer. I would attempt to fix it because I'm a glutton for hardship and disappointment.

NapalmCola and entropy1049 like this.
  8. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I have several "spacers" made from un-repairable straights. Generally Simply cut the spine and blade off and keep the tail and tang.

Or as the above poster says...flagellate.
    [​IMG]

NapalmCola and Drygulch like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I found it easier just to make them from scrap wood. I have several widths.
    [​IMG]

NapalmCola likes this.
  10. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I broke a lot of blades when in the process of learning to restore. Making spacers out of their remains made me feel marginally better about having broken them :)

NapalmCola and Drygulch like this.