So what do you use - AfterShave or Cologne ?

Discussion in 'Scents' started by CHSeifert, Sep 2, 2011.

1. CHSeifert

CHSeifert Active Member

Hey :)

What do you prefer/use as your main 'scent provider' - AfterShave Lotion/Balm or Cologne or maybe even both in the same scent ?!?

I use mild after Shave balms and lotion where the ingredients are my focus and scent is minor - just as long as the scent is discrete, nice and doesn't last long and won't overpower the Eau De Toilette I end my bath/shave/skincare ritual with.

As a side note why do Americans only use the word COLOGNE - whether they talk about actual cologne or Eau De Toilette (EDT) ?
    Cologne is a cheaper edition of EDT and the scent doesn't last as long.....hmmm

I use 5-6 sprays of one of my favorite EDT's - 2 on my chest, 1 in each armpit and 1-2 on my neck.

I avoid the face area, because alcohol dehydrates the skin.

I find that 5-6 sprays of my EDT will last 8-10 hours, which is fine.

AfterShaves last maybe 1-3 hours and Cologne 3-5 hours.
    The more expensive brands don't sell cologne at all - only aftershave and EDT.

I use these 6 scents on and off. Have 100 ml EDT spray of them all, ready for different occasions :

Davidoff Cool Water - loved it in the early 90's, but when everyone used it, I quit. Now I'm back and use a 200 ml EDT SPRAY as my every day scent. Nice fresh combo of mint and grass and Marina :)

Chanel Allure Homme - elegant spicy sweet scent, love it always. Women love it, in fact so much they use the Allure Homme on themselves ;)

Azzaro Pour Homme - elegant old classic spicy heavy dark scent. One of my all time favorites.

Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui - spicy, fresh & 'grassy' scent. Love it, love it. Only the original. The new one is tame.

Boss Bottled No. 6 - my all time favourite everyday everywhere scent ! Girls love it too !!

YSL Body Kouros - nice fresh eucalyptus barbershop spicy scent. Not like Kouros at all, this is much better !!

What do you prefer to use and WHAT's YOUR FAVOURITE SCENTS :)

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like my fragrance to come from my edt and not shave stuff, but if I use more than 2 sprays it is way overkill and could clear the room, and Polo Original is one spritz only as it's just too strong.

My favorite frags are:
    Azzarro Pour Homme
    Burberry Brit
    Eternity for Men
    Old Spice
    Polo Blue
    Polo Original
    Avon Wild Country
    Pinaud Clubman
    Grey Flannel
    Code Blue
    Brut while not my favorite will be brought back into the mix with Old Spice, neither have been used very much the last year so it's time.

3. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

My goto is an EdP Le Labo Rose 31.

I prefer my shave fragrance to disappear quickly.

4. Colonel Mortimer

Colonel Mortimer New Member

Mainly I don't- usually just some Alum block across the face and neck, sometimes I'll use TRSC post shave balm. If I'm going somewhere special it's Issy Miyake Homme EDT.

5. I have spent most of my working life having to be ready to enter clean room environments; because of that I have not used any after shave or cologne. I don't even know what I'm missing. But I find this thread interesting; maybe its time to add another twist to this adventure!

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Here are some of my favorite eau de toilettes:

1) Dolce & Gabbana

2) Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme (discontinued))

3) Santos de Cartier

4) Aramis (my wife loves it on me)

5) JHL by Aramis (my wife loves it on me)

6) Grey Flannel (my wife LOVES it on me)

7) Givenchy Pour Homme (my wife absolutely FREAKS when I wear it)

8) Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui my wife loves it on me)

9) Azzaro Pour Homme

10) Eau Sauvage de Christian Dior my first fragrance when I came to Canada

11) Yves Saint-Laurent Pour Homme (I love it)

Some of my favorite aftershaves:

1) Mennen Skin Bracer Original

2) Old Spice by Shulton (hard to find)

3) Booster Mosswood (my wife hates it!)

4) Booster Polar Ice (my wife says I smell like an old man if I wear it!)

5) Booster Iced Lime (my wife is not too crazy for that either)

6) Pinaud Bay Rum (my wife loves that stuff, strangely enough)

7) Tabac

8) Brut (once in a while, why not?)

9) Osage Rub (ahhhhhh, so nice and cool!)

10) Aqua Velva Ice Blue

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Jeff you must have the largest Shave Dens of all Shave Dens with all the soap and creams plus colognes and after shaves, wow!:)

crackstar likes this.
  8. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

I don't use EdT or Cologne. Just aftershaves.

I'm a Pinaud guy. My big two are V.I. Bay Rum & Clubman. A close 3rd is the Lilac Vegetal. I also use a number of other a/s slightly less regularly, such as the Special Reserve, Vanilla, Booster Mosswood.
    The other scent is Old Spice. Both my grandfathers used it, so it's rather iconic and memory-filled for me. I'm likely to use it at any time, whenever the fancy strikes, or if something sparks a memory association.

9. crackstar

Please to check in the section, which is called "The Medicine Cabinet", and go to me, (crackstar) and you will see my entire collection of soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc. :)

10. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Where is this section?

11. jay_bird

jay_bird Member

Witch Hazel.

It's a must.

Bay Rum
    Clubman
    Old Spice

12. Mechguy

Mechguy Well-Known Member

I prefer a balm or aftershave splash with a light short lasting smell. I don't really care for cologne's. I work on the keep it simple stupid princple, but thats what works for me.

13. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

I just HAD to hunt it down. The list could give a phone book a run for it's money.

crackstar likes this.
  14. crackstar

Well, maybe a phonebook for a small city! :rofl:

15. Nick A

Nick A Active Member

The town I live in only has 2000 people.

16. crackstar

Oh, really? Montreal, the city I live in has a population over 1,620,000, so it is the 2nd largest city in Canada, and the 7th largest in North America. (Big deal!) :)

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

18. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I'm all AS all the time. Alcohol right to the face and arms.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Aftershave only, maybe a balm or two, I don't think I own any cologne.

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

So you've started shaving your arms? ;)

battle.munky and GDCarrington like this.