Soak your brush? Yes, No, and why

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Queen of Blades, Jan 8, 2011.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

dang this is a old thread! I don't soak my brush before I use it. I mostly use synthetics but even with a boar, I will run it under water for a few seconds, shake it 2 times, then start building a lather. The reason for this is that I have not noticed a difference than when I soak the brush first.

I have seen where people say not to soak the brush at the base of the knot because it could loosen the hairs and cause shedding. don't know how true this is or not, but it seems hard to soak only the tips and not the whole knot.

Redrock likes this.
  2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Definitely an old thread but a good read. My experience with a boar brush is that it does seem to soften the bristles when I have not used it for several shaves. I did not originally soak mine, and decided to only after reading a post suggesting it with a boar so it would hold water better. I did not notice any real difference in the amount of water held, but the brush did seem softer. I also have a synthetic I use and it has never been soaked. I used it for 4-5 days straight trying to figure out lathering some stirling soap with it and then returned to my boar. When I did not soak the boar, I could swear it was more scritchy. I soaked it the next day for the shave and again it felt softer. Could be all in my head (SWMBO might laugh about the idea that anything resides up there). I do however soak it in my lather bowl so the handle and all is out of the water.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've read, and it almost certainly must if been on here somewhere(I rarely read other forms). that it was important especially for boars for the following reason.
    the hairs absorb. if you don't soak, they absorb water and whatever soap your using. if you soak, your filling those spaces with water, then you make lather, the soap doesn't get absorbed into the fibers, just on top. then when you rinse, your starting with a clean brush.
    so I understood that you soak to prevent the soap from absorbing into the fibers.
    @GDCarrington , can you answer. did I read that in something you wrote?
    @Bristle Me maybe?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Redrock likes this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You soak your brush for several reasons.

First lets examine brush fibers and hairs.

Synthetic does not soak in any water. Any water that is retained is due to groove channels made in the fibers and the contact of fibers against each other. Reference the following:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brush-history-articles-on-sharpologist.30473/
    http://sharpologist.com/2012/10/syn...ow-they-relate-to-shaving-brushes-part-7.html

Horse tends to absorb a little water depending upon how it is treated and where the hair is gathered from the horse, tail or mane, for the knot.
    Badger will absorb a more water than horse and boar because of the composition of the hairs will absorb the most amount of water.​

With that out of the way. Soaking your brushes for natural hairs can accomplish these three things, irrespective of using cold or hot water, but each user has to determine how much water needs to be absorbed (which is a function of time allowed to soak.)

1. Affect the backbone of the brush. Soak a badger or boar brush for several minutes and you will notice the hairs will get softer and the backbone will decrease. Silvertip badgers can become quite soft and mushy if soaked for several minutes and hard boars become more pliant. Some people deliberately keep from soaking brushes long to retain more backbone. That is a user to user preference with each type of hair that is used in the brush.
    2. Affect the water to soap/cream ratio. The longer you soak the brush the more water it picks up and can transfer to your lather.
    3. Reduces product absorption into the hairs, also known as disappearing lather issues. The more water that is deep in the hairs the more product mixture stays at the surface.
    I hope this helps.

PLANofMAN, Redrock, Darkbulb and 2 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I soak my brush about a minute, just long enough for me to wash my face. That's it, one minute or less. I do it all with cold water and then face lather. No problems.
    ZCOLDWATER2.jpg

Redrock, Dzia Dzia and wmbjr like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I get out of the shower and dry off. Fill the sink with hot tap water and put in my lather bowl and brush. They only soak as long as it takes for me to comb my hair. Why? It warms 'em up for a warm lather.

troy_gies, Redrock and Jayaruh like this.
  7. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Same here. Any hair, bristle, fur is only going to reach a certain point of saturation. Moving back and forth, and pumping softens while the water's running through it. YMMV.

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Boar/Badger: Soak in the same bowl where my razor is. Warm-to-hot water for 5-10 mins
    Synthetic: Hold under running water for a few seconds.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yes, because I did it yesterday?

Redrock likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I soak my boar in water.
    He seems much happier and smells considerably better post-bath….:D
    [​IMG]

burnout961, wmbjr, Dzia Dzia and 3 others like this.
  11. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Padre, your humor is much better than mine!

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Very interesting thread. Question: does soaking the brush in warm or hot water negatively affect the knot?

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Pretty much from the beginning I've used a bestshave #6 horsehair(?) brush. I've also soaked the bristles only from the beginning, I honestly don't know if its better to soak or not since I've always soaked it.
    I also only soak the bristles. The way I do it is by putting a wash cloth in my lather bowl and filling the bowl with hot water just to the top. The wash cloth allows me to stand the brush up so only the bristles soak and not the knot. I don't know if soaking only the bristles makes a difference but I seldom lose a hair. My brush soaks like this the entire time I take my shower. When I shave I shake it once or twice and begin to make my lather. My brush retains good backbone and makes a large amount of lather.:)

wmbjr likes this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I also soak my badger brush while I'm in the shower. I shake the excess water out and use it with great results. This is the first time I have even thought about whether or not it is the correct way. Jeez, now I have to read the entire thread.

Herm2502 likes this.
  15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I should add that while I am in the shower I soak my brush in a mug of warm water...but not up to the level of the knot/handle...just below...so bristles are soft but not up to the point where it might damage the knot (so I tell myself)...though I am sure capillary action sucks water up into the area of the knot...hence my question...will this damage the knot? I think I may have just answered my own question...I have been doing this for years...and usually the hair falls out one strand at a time and every 8-12 months I would have to replace my cheapo drug store boar...knot is usually fine.