Soap Bowls/Containers

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by JoeMal, Dec 13, 2010.

1. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

What do you guys/gals use for your soap bowls/containers? I know most soaps come in their own tub, but what about if you buy a refill puck or something that doesn't come in a tub? I have been using coffee cups for a few of my loose pucks, but don't want to give up my precious coffee cup collection to soap containers.

So what do you use to keep those pucks in? Anyone know of a good place to get small, ceramic type bowls to keep your soap in?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I use a countless number of Prolon nesting coffee cups for my soaps. I load the soap from the cup with a brush that has most of the water shaken out and finish my lather in the RAB scuttle. The Prolon cups can be seen in my stuff link in my siggy. I got my Prolon cups from a church type rummage sale. Prolon is still in business, although the set I got dates back to the 50's and 60's.

Other folks use 3/$1.00 glass bowls from the dollar store and then stick them in sammitch baggies when dry.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm one of those other folks Jeff referenced.

I use the small glass bowls - three for a buck at the dollar store.

Most pucks sit in there with no problem. Some I have are C&E, TOBS, Tabac, DR Harris - all sit in there with no grating or shredding. Glycerin soaps (TSD, Ogallala) melt down easy enough. Store 'em in a zip lock sammitch baggie.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Simply keeping them in the bowl isn't good enough? The whole bowl/puck goes in a bag afterward? What's the logic behind this?

5. stingraysrock

Keeps dust / cat hair / mouse puke etc... off them and keeps the scent in!

[EDIT] - Steve is right behind me on this one...Sorry if I stepped on them toes Steve!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

With all the soaps I have, each only get used about once a month. I follow a pretty strict rotation with my soaps - use this one today, then it goes to the end of the line until it comes around again. The bag keeps the dust off. Also helps when stacking; the bowl on top doesn't stick to the bowl underneath. Some folks say it helps maintain the scent, as well. I've never measured the amount of scent a soap gives off when new and then after sitting over time.

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Interesting I might have to get the baggie idea a try. I totally see the dust concept and it makes sense to do it that way. I will have to look at the dollar store next time I'm there for some glass bowls. Thanks for the tip! That's exactly what I was looking for

8. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

My container of choice for my soaps is recycled TSD containers. These work like a champ and with the aid of a cheese grater, I can fit any size puck into these like factory. For lathering, I have used the same large soup mug that I started with although most of the time I'm partial to face lathering.

9. nelson76

nelson76 New Member

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919
    These are what I use,If there's an Ikea near you they're worth the shot for a 3 pack they're $4.99, stainless steel with a lid,There's even a magnet on the botttom you can use to support them anywhere.

10. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Thanks for the tip but I don't have an Ikea anywhere near me

I ended up going to Dollar Tree and picking up (6) 4" glass bowls for $2. Simple and cheap enough for me. Thanks again for the advice fellas

11. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I use little glass Anchor Hoching bowls I picked up at Wally World (Wal-Mart for those in the few places still without them). They have plastic lids and were about $5 for 4 bowls. I keep shave sticks as they come and store them in drawer. The only exception is the Wooden Bowl I reserve for my MWF - it's the one from Connaught Shaving.

12. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

You might want to try Mama Bear's travel tub- Only about two bucks from Mama Bear's Soaps...

It's even better when ordered filled with soap!

Jeff

13. cbrenner

cbrenner Member

I use the little ZIPLOC round containers. Pucks fit great and they come with a lid to seal up after it drys. They are also neatly stackable.:D

14. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

this is what I do with my soaps that don't have an Old Spice mug to go into.

I need more Old Spice mugs....:D

I also have a couple of these

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have two Old Spice mugs. One my father gave me with a puck of Williams a few decades ago. The other one was found at a flea market for a buck or two.

Other then the two soaps in mugs, the rest of mine are shave sticks. They just hang out in the drawer on their own. If I have to travel, then I use an old prescription bottle...

16. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

17. stingraysrock

My junk shop source for the Prolon cups has dried up. I have four soaps that need containers still. I went to The Dollar Tree in search of Steve's three for a buck glass bowls but did not see any likely candidates. I did however pick up for ramekins with fitted plastic lids for a buck each. The do not nest, but they do stack since they have lids.

18. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I can check my local store and see if they have any more...I would be willing to send you some if you wanted

19. stingraysrock

Thanks Mang! Lemme see how these ramekins work out and if they are a no-go, I will hit you up!

20. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Definitely...I owe you one anyways...just let me know