Soap of the Week

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Slivovitz, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

This week it's vintage Old Spice. I'm one of those guys around here with too big a variety of soaps. For quite a while, it was a different soap practically every day, but lately I've been using each one for a least a week. If I'm traveling, it's a single shave stick for the whole trip. Did a whole month with vintage Williams.

If you're not just going to use one or two soaps, this may be the way to go. I find I appreciate a soap more over a period of several days, as I get used to its individual quirks. In an earlier post, I mentioned that Tabac was a lot better after a whole week. Sometimes I get tired of what I'm using, I was happy to put the Col. Conk's Bay Rum aside, but more often I get into a groove, and would be happy to use the same thing indefinitely. It happens with modern Williams, MWF, Speick, and others. My third straight shave with the Old Spice was the best so far.

The drawback is that at this rate, it will take me a while to get back to my favorites. Maybe I'll start using MWF every third week, or something like that.

2. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Seems like an interesting way of going about a rotation. Interesting in a good way. I don't have that many soaps yet myself, but I did crack open a tub of Proraso white that I bought back in January. I found I didn't like it at first, but after a few days with it, I have used it more often than not in the last 2 weeks.

3. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

My soap/cream of choice all depends on what brush I grab in the morning. If I grab the Semogue LE, it's MWF, the Wee Scot (MWF), the Major Travel (MWF), the small D.R. Harris (Proraso Green Tub and Cella), the medium D.R. Harris (Arko and Speick stick, Proraso, Speick, or Godrej creams). If you only gave me one choice it would be the MWF.

4. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Haha, I thought after reading the first 3 choices being MWF that the remaining ones would be too :p

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I would have no problem at all making MWF my only soap. I like it that much.

6. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I only have one brush, so my soap determination is much simpler. Having said that, do I go Tabac, TSD pumpkin, or TSD Interception? That depends on my mood after I have fallen out of bed and drug myself into the bathroom to shower.