Soap Pass-Around 2016 Volume I

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jul 2, 2016.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm just not sure that sounds all that fun, Jared!! Maybe when the weather heats back up in the Spring.

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would say go ahead and try the glacial for a 2-pass shave just to get an idea of it. YMMV. It would be nice to have a comparative, plus...I really want to get your opinion.

PLAla likes this.
  3. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD November 15, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G1 injector
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Derby Lemon shave cream
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Florida Water, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Went with the Derby Lemon shave cream today. First off, what a huge tube of cream! That would last you forever. It only takes a small amount to produce plenty of lather.

I squeezed some cream on to my finger and then applied directly to my face. I face lathered with the badger brush and created a good layer of lather, even though it was thinner than I usually get with soaps. But, the slickness and protection were good. One pass and then reapplied some cream in a few areas (mainly neck) for touch up. Ended up with a really nice, smooth shave. The immediate post-shave feel wasn't top-notch but after settling and following witch hazel and Florida Water it felt pretty good. There was good residual slickness allowing for some clean-up in areas that didn't get a second application of lather.

The scent started off as close to lemon-scented industrial cleaner. However it dissipated quickly and was not an issue to me at all. Overall I enjoyed my shave with the Derby cream. I'm not sure it's something I am dying to have in my den, but I was glad to try it and would definitely shave with it again.

Have a great day!

SOTD 11-15-16.JPG

4. PLAla

Cold water 3.gif
    SOTD November 16, 2016

Blade
    Brush: Semogue 1520 boar
    Lather: Razorock Classic
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Barbasol Pacific Rush, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Tried the Razorock Classic today. Overall impression is very positive. The scent was muted. I think it's supposed to be an almond scent, perhaps like Cella, but it's not strong at all. It smelled more like plain soap to me, which is fine. It lathered up very easily with the Semogue boar brush and face lathered into a nice, rich, and hydrated layer. Slickness was good for me and post shave pretty good as well. I really enjoyed this soap today. Is it in the top 5 soaps I've used? No. But it worked quite well and I could use it a lot with no complaints.

I plan to try two more soaps through Friday and then go out of town for Thanksgiving. I'll return to sampling products when I get back. I'm going to take some of my regular stock for my trip.

Have a great day!

SOTD 11-16-16.JPG

5. PLAla

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD November 17, 2016

Blade
    Brush: Artisan badger
    Lather: Provence Sante soap
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Speick aftershave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

I tried the Provence Sante soap this morning. The scent is a clean, soapy smell. It reminds me of a bar soap smell, which isn't a bad thing. It's a clean, neutral scent. It lathered up quite well and easily. I could have used a touch more water in building the lather on my face as it dried out a little bit on my neck before I shaved there, but that's user error and not the soap's problem. Overall I got a nice, clean shave with this soap. I found it to be fairly slick and protective with an ease of lathering.

I could use that soap again and often with no issues. Like some of the others - it's not the best soap I've used, but I've used much, much worse! I appreciate whoever included it in the box.

Have a great day!

SOTD 11-17-16.JPG

6. Straight razor dandy

I like how you are going through these one by one with notes

7. PLAla

Thanks! I have time to do that since the second pass-around will start later. I'll be on a break from these soaps next week but will come back to them after Thanksgiving. I want to give all of the ones that interest me a good try!

8. PLAla

I ended up not using a soap from the box this morning, but I did use my puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat. There is a little bit in the soap box. Mitchell's is one of my favorite soaps. Some find it finicky to lather but I've always experienced the opposite. It's easy to load, easy to face lather and produces a terrific layer for shaving. I use Mitchell's on most Fridays.

I'll return to the soap box items after Thanksgiving! I'm going out of town for the week. More reports to come later!

9. Straight razor dandy

Any more soap box news?

Any info on the 2nd pass around?

10. PLAla

Second pass-around will commence after the New Year. Look for the post and sign-up then!

11. Straight razor dandy

I will, thank you!

PLAla likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a bunch of stuff I would kick into it, just need to know who the steward is to send it to.

PLAla likes this.
  13. PLAla

That would be me! I'll PM you.