Soap Pass-around Volume II - 2017

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

This will be my first Soap Pass Around. Thanks for bringing up the issue of "how to". I should expect the pucks to have divots where previous users have popped out a shave sized bits. ;)

PLAla likes this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That will work fine! They'll look like the golf greens when they need to aerate!

Kenneth Sampson likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Is there anything (as far as scent or soap maker) that anyone us specifically looking to try?

I have some nice add-ons I plan on putting in, but I always like to see if there is anything someone is really looking out for.

RyX and PLAla like this.
  4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Im not in this hunt, but if you will allow me to make a few suggestions to keep things on track. When you receive the box, go through each soap and decide which scents are intriguing and which are not. Take a sample of each soap you like and put it into a small jar or baggie and be sure to label. try the one or two you like best, and if you have a tub of similar quality and quantity and want to trade it for one of those, pack up the box and send it on the way. Most people don't shave more than once a day at most, so trying 10 or twenty soaps to see which one you want to keep would unnecessarily slow down the progress of the box. Be mindful of the guy who's eagerly waiting to try the goodies and everything will go smoothly.

RyX, Straight razor dandy and PLAla like this.
  5. Straight razor dandy

This is precisely the way to do it. Thank you for posting this here.

PLAla and cmorris357 like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are a couple great soaps I've had the chance to try. My list of ones still to experience is longer.
    Some of the inexpensive ones like Arko should be sampled by budget minded folks. The scent is polarizing, but it's a great latherer. I'll be purchasing several sticks to share with family, and for myself.
    Those high end products would be interesting to try. I don't expect anyone to drop in a tub of MdC, MWF, or the like. If it happened it would satisfy my curiosity, but my budget keeps me in the sub $20 tubs. Sampling products I might purchase targets the generous Vendors that have helped kick this box into the win zone.

PLAla likes this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Let's have the list sir.

You want mdc and mwf? Granted! I will put samples of both in!

Next requests??

PLAla, dustmite and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Wow! OK. It was a mental list, and a bunch of bookmarks to scroll through. Might be easier to list what I've sampled or received in PIF's.

I have full sized;
    • Proraso white (good stuff)
    • COBigelow (Proraso green, also good)
    • LPL Savon du Barbier (is it supposed to smell like hamburger pickles? performs well)
    • The Shave Shop Acqua di Florida (made by Ginger's Garden, I reccommend it!)
    • Barbasol Arctic Chill (canned - decent stuff)
    • Cremo Regular & Cooling (acceptable, makes good superlather)
    • Scentsy #04 creme (high end price, average performance)
    • Vintage Williams Stick (Lucked up on a stick, fantastic stuff)
    • Route 66 Barbershop Hop (Great performance & scent)

Soaps I've sampled;
    • Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti & Manna di Sicilia ( good!)
    • Razorock Son of Zeus (good)
    • Cella (Yes! sugar cookie scent & shaves well)
    • Stirling Mountian Man (good)
    • The Strop Shoppe (I purchased 6 samples, but never ordered)

Probably been a few others I've tried, but none that made enough impression that I'd seek them out.

PLAla likes this.
  9. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

I'd like to smell anything based on green Irish tweed. I have van vulays version but I'd like to smell/try caties bubbles Celtic knot, stirlings sharp dressed man or wsp galeic tweed.

Also anything super mentholated would be nic

PLAla and RyX like this.
  10. PLAla

There is a small tin of MWF already in the box. You can add to that @Straight razor dandy if you want. There's plenty of room in that tin. It's one of my favorite all-time soaps.

RyX and dustmite like this.
  11. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to trying MWF. I have been wanting to try it, but haven't gotten around to it. No excuse once the box gets to me!

PLAla and RyX like this.
  12. Straight razor dandy

I have catie's bubbles Celtic knot and Stirling's sharp dressed man. Samples granted!

RyX and PLAla like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Sorry, I didn't see the "super mentholated," wish granted! I got you covered.

PLAla likes this.
  14. PLAla

There is a small tub of Stirling Glacial Wintergreen that will be in the box. It's super mentholated!! Hopefully it will still be intact when it gets to you. But @Straight razor dandy will hook you up regardless.

Pics of the contents coming up shortly!

RyX likes this.
  15. banks741938

You are the man!!! Thanks!!!

Straight razor dandy, RyX and PLAla like this.
  16. banks741938

Can't wait to try a glacial. Thanks!!

PLAla likes this.
  17. PLAla

Alright, this is what you've been waiting for! The box contents to start this pass-around are as follows:

IMG_1117.JPG
    Bottom row - Palmolive Lemon cream. Middle row, L-R - Los Angeles Shaving Soap Santa Monica Bay Rum, RazoRock Caribbean Holiday, Clubman Shave soap. Top row, L-R - Chiseled Face Summer Storm, Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber, Arko (the Arko is a freebie; no need to replace it if you take it).

IMG_1118.JPG
    Bottom row, L-R - Mystic Water Raspberry Lemon, Simpson's Shave Cream. Middle row, L-R - Pacific Caffeinated Shaving Cream, Musgo Real Oak Moss, Musgo Real Lime, Tennessee Whisker Cedarwood. Top row, L-R - RazoRock Classic soap, The Shave Den Lanolin Bay Rum, Wickham 1912 Club Cola. Top row - Derby Lemon cream.

IMG_1119.JPG
    Smaller odds and ends. Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood and Stirling Glacial Wintergreen. Middle row, bottom to top - Maggard's Northern Moss, Chiseled Face Cedar and Spice, Maggard's London Barbershop, Provence Sante soap. Right column, top to bottom - Art of Shaving Cream sample, Mitchell's Wool Fat.

IMG_1120.JPG
    TSD Vendor soaps, working from bottom to top:
    Stirling (around the bottom) - Executive Man, Orange Chill, Arkadia, Sandpiper, Stirling Gentleman, Pumpkin Spice.
    Ginger's Garden - Barber's Quartet and Suede.
    Route 66 - Rum Runner, Cranberry Citrus, Bourbon Jungle.
    Jeeves of Hudson Street - Turkish Bath
    Crowne and Crane - Tobacco Leaf and Amber, Port Royal Bay Rum.

As you can see there are tons of things to sniff and sample! I'm very pleased with the offerings in this box.

It will go on the road to @Straight razor dandy tomorrow! He has tons of other soaps and will be glad to put something of your interest in the box for the next participants. Just let him know!

Thank you to all who have signed up. Let's make this a fun and meaningful activity!

18. PLAla

Two soaps ended up not being photographed. Tiki Set Sail and a Palmolive shave stick. The shave stick is a little beat up so it can be a freebie like the Arko.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

When the box visits me, I'm sure I'll find something to swap for a tub of that Florida Water scented tallow.
    The idea of dipping out a divot makes for getting in more than just the shaves while it's at your location. I'm liking this idea.

EDIT; I see lime, I've found I also like lavender. Patchouli?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    PLAla likes this.
  20. PLAla

Yeah, there's too much stuff to just sample for the short time you have the box. So take out some divots and slices and shave on even past when you send the box on.