Soap suggestion ?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rudy Lussiez, Jun 22, 2018.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

What Jared said, plus you get one of the top performing soaps available. If you have hard water, it's even more of a winner.

In truth, there are a lot of truly excellent soaps available today, with more coming each year. But IMO, Sterling stands out in terms of performance. And Rod seems to know what he's doing mixing the various essential and fragrance oils. He's never had to reformulate his base recipes because of wide-spread irritation. Which is not the case with some artisan soaps.

2. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

3. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Several online shops offer samples. I was getting bored with Proraso so I tried a dozen of various makes and scents. Ultimately, I didn't find any I liked as well as Proraso (Sandlewood, Menthol). But, if you're looking for a scent with punch, I recall Tiki Bar's "The Captain" was pretty powerful.

4. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

RazorRock p.160 is worth a try. I really wanted to like sadly the almond based soaps did not agree with my skin.. for $6 its quite a deal.

5. Gobucks

Gobucks Member

TOBS is a vote for me. Good stuff.

brit likes this.
  6. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who likes the scent of rose? Rose, you know, is the scent of kings. I have TOBS Rose, Cold River Soap Works: Summer Rose, Barrister & Mann: Le Grand Chypre which has a beautiful rose scent, Wickam Soap Co. 1912 English Rose (needs bit of air) strong, DR Harris & Co. Twenty Nine (nice), and Martin De Candre Rose. I can honestly say there not one of these that I do not like. Rose is my favorite scent. fwiw. ;) Each day when it comes to shaving, I have a most difficult time deciding which soap to use. Life is good. :)

Paul Turner and Screwtape like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

cyril r salter has a nice sandalwood cream, good quality. lpl oud/sandalwood is nice as well..

8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

You are not alone.
    Catie's Bubbles La Rose du Mechant is on the short list of soaps that I've polished off. The 8oz tub, mind you. At the moment I also have Wickham's, and Le Pere Lucien Rose de Pushkar.

MacDaDad likes this.
  9. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Both of my recommendations are in my top tier of soaps. For a mild scent, try Haslinger Schafmilch. For a wonderful almond sent, try Cella.

Both lather easily, give great protection, & have outstanding post shave face feel!

MacDaDad likes this.
  10. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I’m surprised and mildly disappointed that DR Harris Marlborough didn’t make this list. Don’t let the name fool you no tobacco scent at all it’s an awesome combination of Cedar wood and Sandalwood. The two scents balance each other out quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

if You like sandlewood and want something new, try Vetiver-Fine Fresh Vetiver is good. Stirling also makes a great vetiver.

BigMark83 likes this.
  12. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

[​IMG] I'm a big fan of Havana by Moon. I use it at least once a week. 6oz for $17 is not too bad a price either.

13. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Getting a tub of a new artisan soap, CBL Soaps. It’s getting very high reviews on a few other forums. I’m getting Club CBL, which is supposed to be an exact match scent-wise of the original Clubman.

14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

+1 on Fine. I'm going to buy their sandalwood soao when I "feel" I can justify it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    MR41 likes this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with any of the suggestions made in this thread. I would do a little reading in the Shaving Soap threads as well so you can read people's descriptions of the different scents and performance. You want a good combination of slickness, cushion, post shave feel and scent, but one that matches your own leanings. Everyone's scent glands are different and what makes one person smile can make another person want to vomit. Samples are probably your best bet so you don't buy a bunch of tubs of soap that you will never use more than once or twice. And don't forget that your likes and dislikes scent-wise will probably change over time as well. Don't look at this as your final decision as to what scents you prefer. More like the beginning of a journey that is ever-changing. And a heck of a lot of fun. For me it is what keeps shaving fresh and far from boring. I may have settled on my hardware (razors, blades, brushes) but I am constantly searching for my next favorite scent. Enjoy the ride.

dmshaver likes this.